Baby Bangi cardinal fry 1 month old

Hi, I put in two sea urchins about a mid December. I realized two weeks later there was 2 bangaii cardinal fry swimming around the urchin. I then noticed there were more in the fathers mouth. I kept an eye on them throughout the day and not much changed. When I checked on them in the morning the two fry were at the top of the tank next to the overflow box out of the protection of the urchins. I decided to put them in my refugium away from the other fish. I didnt see any other fry in the tank or even in the mouths of the parents. A couple of days later, I noticed two more in my overflow box. It wasn't easy but they all made it safe to the refug. It is now a little more then a month and they are still going great, eating well and getting much bigger. These are some pictures of the father with the fry in his mouth and the baby fry in my refugium, I hope you enjoy them.

nissan577

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandmike http:///forum/thread/383428/baby-bangi-cardinal-fry-1-month-old#post_3353375
Hi, I put in two sea urchins about a mid December. I realized two weeks later there was 2 bangaii cardinal fry swimming around the urchin. I then noticed there were more in the fathers mouth. I kept an eye on them throughout the day and not much changed. When I checked on them in the morning the two fry were at the top of the tank next to the overflow box out of the protection of the urchins. I decided to put them in my refugium away from the other fish. I didnt see any other fry in the tank or even in the mouths of the parents. A couple of days later, I noticed two more in my overflow box. It wasn't easy but they all made it safe to the refug. It is now a little more then a month and they are still going great, eating well and getting much bigger. These are some pictures of the father with the fry in his mouth and the baby fry in my refugium, I hope you enjoy them.

that is to adorable! great j
ob

meowzer

Oh how exciting....yeah thanks for sharing the pics....you will have to keep us up to date on how the fry do....

Hi Guys, Thank you so much for the kind words. Yes, It has been very exciting. I will be sure to keep you posted on there progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaQ http:///forum/thread/383428/baby-bangi-cardinal-fry-1-month-old#post_3356511
How are they doing?? What are you feeding them.
T
Hi Teresa, They are doing very well. I have them in my refugium, so they have enough pods to eat between my feeding. I do feed them cyclops and baby brine shrimp everyday. They seem to be growing fast, I will move them to my frag tanks in the next month or two, they are still too small for the main tank. The father seems to be carrying more eggs now, I will be sure to keep you posted on the batch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewjardin http:///forum/thread/383428/baby-bangi-cardinal-fry-1-month-old#post_3357334
How small were they when you found them? How big are they now? They are so cute! I really love these fish!
Hi Andrew, they were about 1/4in when I found them, they are about 3/4in now. The father has another batch of fry in his mouth now, They are about 5 days old. If all goes well and the father eat enough in the past month to get him through the next 28 days I should have more to raise soon
I will keep you all posted

Thats so cool! You must be pretty happy! I hope everything goes well and you have another batch of fry to raise as well soon!

Hi Guys, yes it is very exciting, I am very much looking forward to the second batch. I had no idea they had any eggs or anything about it the first time, I looked in the tank and there they were. I am now more ready and prepared
I will be sure to keep you all posted

teresaq

How are the babies doing. I really want a pair for my seahorse tank. I would love to raise a batch of babies along with my seahorses
T

Hi Teresa, Its funny you should ask, The father released the baby fry yesterday. Due to the fact of the parents being in my main tank, it limits me on how many fry I can catch. Its not that I cant catch the baby's when I see them. Its just that the father usually releases the fry at night when I am sleeping. They go to the protection of the sea urchin, but sometime the other bigger fish get to them before I do. I will now try and catch the parents and keep them in there own dedicated tank.
I was able to save 5 of the fry. I put them in there own tank with the past two from the first litter.
This is a picture of the fry in the protection of the sea urchin

You can see the difference of the size between the first litter and the second litter.

teresaq

Very cute. to bad you cant save a few more fry, though not sure how many they have?? I know your male would be hard to catch and place into a birthing tank. Thats one thing nice about horses, they are slow. lol I use an intank birthing tank, the fry cant get out and sucked into the filters.
T