Back from the LFS AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

imfsub12

ya i see that some ppl use MOON lights are these nessasary? to have? or is it just a added effect for your reef

imfsub12

ok thanks John.. that might be good for a second tank once get more cash.. might go with a biger unit.. but first have to start our first project..
but i have been reading the moon lights are for night time things to come out ... but i could be wrong...

imfsub12

ok thanks John.. that might be good for a second tank once get more cash.. might go with a biger unit.. but first have to start our first project..
but i have been reading the moon lights are for night time things to come out ... but i could be wrong...

imfsub12

oh we did ask LFS about water if to get RO or what they say that they just use our local water in town.from our taps. as they havn't had any problems with all there SW tanks....
any body want to comment on that?

demartini

Originally Posted by imfsub12
oh we did ask LFS about water if to get RO or what they say that they just use our local water in town.from our taps. as they havn't had any problems with all there SW tanks....
The quality of your tap water could be pretty good. If your LFS has no problem then you shouldn't have a problem.
omg, $12/lb for live rock... I'm sorry! that's expensive!

imfsub12

yep but remember that is Canadian prices.. its about 10.50 us.. one store was $15.00 cdn...
so i think we are going to do 10 lbs of rock...to start out...

demartini

yep but remember that is Canadian prices.. its about 10.50 us.. one store was $15.00 cdn...
so i think we are going to do 10 lbs of rock...to start out...
ohh yes I forgot that you are in Canada. $10 is still high, but if you don't have a choice... I pay $5/lb

renogaw

ok i've read some bad advice on this...
1) dont cycle with fish. cycle with a fresh shrimp from your grocery store.
2) don't put in 4 clownfish... only have 2 if you don't want aggression.
3) try to get your live rock elsewhere, online, in the classified section (if its ok to ups across borders)

imfsub12

Originally Posted by renogaw
ok i've read some bad advice on this...
1) dont cycle with fish. cycle with a fresh shrimp from your grocery store.
2) don't put in 4 clownfish... only have 2 if you don't want aggression.
3) try to get your live rock elsewhere, online, in the classified section (if its ok to ups across borders)

thanks for you post..
1. ya the newest LFS said to do the same as you..
2. ok will take that in to account.. what else could you put with 2 clown fish.. as i know i'm not doing much LR right now but later one i could put more LR in to get some 1 more fish other plant life..
3. yep LR expensive here but shipping will also be expensive... but i'm shippin a new computer via GROUND to me.. cost me $40 to ship from wininipeg mb to halifax NS.. 4000 km away.. welcome to the east coast..

larryndana

Originally Posted by John-NYC
IMFSUB12
Check this out
http://www.redseamax.com/redseamax/R...MAX_specs.html

I was going to suggest this tank....or 24gal aquapod or 29bio cube. Reason being, they are self contained....i.e filter, top, lights(as a side note, i don't have to top mine off because of the top....less maintance). With any of these you wouldn't have to upgrade your lights for corals, unless the coral need strong lighting. And even then their are options to upgrade lighting.
This red sea max is 34 gallons, t5 power compacts, build in skimmer, 5 outlet power center, 24 hour programmable timer, and heater. Of course, i don't know anyone that has one of these....i just wish i did.
If you go with any other tank you will buy buy buy, in my opinion one of these are great for a starter tank(if you will).

larryndana

I'd never in a million years use tap water....sorry. If i did, i would test it to make sure it is no more than 50 with a tds meter....and thats even to high IMO, zero is ideal for a reef tank.
You can send your water sample to airwaterice dot com, i believe they test for free you pay shipping. Your lfs may be able to test it....with a TDS meter.
you can buy one for as little as 20 bucks.

larryndana

thanks for you post..
1. ya the newest LFS said to do the same as you..
2. ok will take that in to account.. what else could you put with 2 clown fish.. as i know i'm not doing much LR right now but later one i could put more LR in to get some 1 more fish other plant life..
3. yep LR expensive here but shipping will also be expensive... but i'm shippin a new computer via GROUND to me.. cost me $40 to ship from wininipeg mb to halifax NS.. 4000 km away.. welcome to the east coast..
The more you buy online the cheaper it will be to ship, if not free.

imfsub12

thanks for thi input larryndana - the thing is that no one where we are from sells those tanks..( i could over one in but it would cost alot and migh even arive damaged) what we think we will do is just get the tank kit as it comes with the filter lights (yes i know i will have to upgrade them later if i want to have coral..) but will just have my 2 fish for now and LR and see how that goes and upgrade the lights later.. if you want some basic coral would any work with just the light that come with not an expensive start up kit?
and is there any tips or cool sites that show you what lights go with what as that is another ball game for me...

larryndana

Its up to you, but there are sites that sell stuff in Canada that are based in Canada. Just found a few with good prices, too.
Get what your comfortable with

larryndana

not supposed post other website that sell stuff. I just searched for, Aquarium Supplies Canada....and several sites poped up. most places provide free shipping if its over a certain amount. Also, my lfs has told me he could get anything i asked for. I got something not to long ago from him that i couldn't get any cheaper online, mostly due to shipping.
i'm not trying to tell you what to get, i just know if i got anything smaller than 30 gallons, i would diffenantly look into nano cube style.