Back to basics- 29g adventure

snakeblitz33

I made up some new saltwater. Going to do a water change tomorrow morning.

I plan on adding some soft corals and taking off my phosban reactor. I'll be making it into a soft coral tank because it will simply be easier to take care of. I might,... Might... Add a couple montipora frags or something hardy, but for now, that's what I have my mind set on.

I might go by the fish store and pick up a few frags today. I have to go into town anyway, I have to buy a few things to finish out my new deck.

pegasus

I might go by the fish store and pick up a few frags today. I have to go into town anyway, I have to buy a few things to finish out my new deck.
Two birds with one stone, eh? Maybe next week you'll need to run back to town to pick up some more deck screws... and "accidentally" bring home another frag or two??? LOL!!!

snakeblitz33

Nothing as of yet. I am taking my time.

My new led light has a hitch in the fan. It's getting noisy. Really noisy. I either need to replace the fan somehow, or replace the whole unit. I can't keep listening to it.

eric b 125

My new led light has a hitch in the fan. It's getting noisy. Really noisy. I either need to replace the fan somehow, or replace the whole unit. I can't keep listening to it.
That's a bummer man. I am really sensitive to aquarium noise and since my DT is in my living space it's really important that it's as quiet as possible.

snakeblitz33

Yeah, it is. Yesterday it was kinda quiet or less annoying. Lol.

I was keeping the lights on at 30% for a while and yesterday I turned them up to 50%. I'm gonna keep an eye on the coralline to make sure its not bleaching.

Fish are doing fine. I'm down to three now. Gonna try to add two more damsels soon. We will see.

snakeblitz33

That's what I'm thinking. I know I need to start adding some corals to the tank soon, I'm getting bored with it.

pegasus

That's what I'm thinking. I know I need to start adding some corals to the tank soon, I'm getting bored with it.
Doesn't have to be softies to have movement with the flow, you know. I bought my wife a pink-tipped torch coral, and it's freaking awesome to watch it moving with the flow!

snakeblitz33

I am resolved to buy a coral tomorrow.

Got to buy new RO unit filters too soon. I think that's a necessity where I stay. Lol

snakeblitz33

I bought a few corals today.

Candy red montipora capricornis 4x4"
Entrusting gorgonian
Assorted zoanthids
Neon orange plate coral, 1x1"
4" nepthia

And only spent under $50.

If I can spend under $25/week on corals for the tank, I'll have it filled in no time.

snakeblitz33

I cleaned the glass, took the phosban reactor offline and put the lights on timers. 60% actinic and 40% daylight on the LEDs. I'm happy with that mix, it makes the greens really pop. I epoxied the LPS and SPS corals in place. The nepthea is still mad at me and adjusting. It was ticked off when I bought it too, this afternoon. Pics in the next post.

snakeblitz33

Thanks. If I continue to buy some frags here and there, given time, I'll have a full blown reef. I think I'm off to a great start.

snakeblitz33

Everything is still alive! Feeling good!

The tank is really looking great! I'm going to have to figure out how to make up enough kallwasser to drop in the tank on a daily basis.

pegasus

And so it begins... lol!!! Congrats on scoring all those frags for less than $50! I need to shop where you're shopping!!! Looks like you're off to a good start on a reef tank~