Back up power

deon nyc

ok guys we all have tanks some are 20gal some are 500gal my question is. In case of power outage what kind of back up power do u guy have. and if u dont mind how much does it cost?

btldreef

Originally Posted by Deon NYC
http:///forum/post/3158423
ok guys we all have tanks some are 20gal some are 500gal my question is. In case of power outage what kind of back up power do u guy have. and if u dont mind how much does it cost?
Car battery/power inverter .. about $400 when all is said and done. I'm curious to see what other people do as well though.

scsinet

IMO it boils down to 3 options. UPS, inverter, and generator.
Personally, I have an inverter and a generator on hand.
I am NOT a fan of the UPS option, because unless you buy a very oversized UPS, any amount of backup time you'll get from it is going to be for a timeframe that the tank could go without power anyway, and unless you buy a very expensive UPS, it may have trouble running powerheads.
The generator is my favorite option, because dollar for dollar, you get the most wattage and runtime for the least money - especially with those cheapo chinese import generators you can get nowadays, which are perfect for our application. Plus, you can run other stuff like your fridge, TV, even the furnace in your house if you know how to wire it up. Tank heaters won't do a pantload worth of good if the house temperature is 40 degrees...
The inverter on the other hand is cheap, easily stored, and can easily be hooked up to a car idling in the driveway for an indefinite supply of electricity.
I have both, in case my generator fails, or we lose power at night when I don't want to make a racket, I have the inverter.

chrisnif

I'm new to the saltwater/reef community, but I'm in the process of getting my home "winter proof" as here in NC we get terrible ice storms and can go WEEKS sometimes without power. With that said I'm getting an inexpensive generator from the place with orange aprons online for like $200 it puts out 1500W continuous and 2000 surge (so it'll power my fridge when i need it to, or the microwave if i need to heat up some grub). The genset also has 12V output to charge a battery, so I'm prepared to remove the deep cycle from my boat and hook up the small inverter that is in the car all of the time to it with the genset recharging it as it goes. This way I have 600W of inverter power to run some lights in the house and some water circulation in my tank. I'll run my tank heater from the genset directly when it has enough power to spare.
To heat my house I've got a gas fireplace that needs no electric. If this isnt an option for you in a long term power failure I'd recommend a propane or kerosene heater because as stated above a few hundred watts of heater isnt going to put a dent in the cooling a 40 degree house would put on your tank.
This is my 2 cents, I'm very DIY oriented so I'm fine with doing it this way, someone else may want to get a bigger generator and run everything directly from it, but for a $200 investment plus what I've already got it works great for me.

scsinet

The wattage requirements vary depending on what you have on your tank.
Usually, a 500w inverter is enough to run your circulation and maybe 250w heater. If you have multiple heaters, or if you want to run other stuff, like a microwave, you want to upsize. Nowadays you can get 1500w power inverters for only a couple hundred bucks, but keep in mind that larger inverters cannot be plugged into a cigarette lighter, they need to be clamped directly to the car battery.

I have always used a PC battery back up...nice size one is about 150.00
I only plugged my filters in only...1 for every tank...Eheim 2217 would last about 5 hours on one.
The good thing is ur filter is plugged into it always...when the power goes out it aoutomatcally switchs to battery.

egill

Just bought a 8500 watt generator off amazon. Having it wired to run a select breakers to the house. Furnace, 2 rooms the tank is in, kitchen and garage will all have power. Should still be able to run some extention cords if we feel like watching tv.

mech-a-nic

I live in NC too
got to hate the ICE storms. hurraicains can get us too. I have a 8K Gen. and inverters with car battries If I need them. Just make sure to have a Kill switch Or flip the main breaker for the House if you use a Gen to back feed your house.

meowzer

I have 2 types inverters...1 small one that works off your car lighter
1 bigger one that works off a car battery, and you can plug a few things into
and I have a generator....IF I EVER NEED TO...I should be able to run all powerheads on all 3 SW (29G, 54G, 225G) tanks, and air on all 3 (16G, 55G, 46G) FW tanks.
I guess I could run heaters if need be too....but it doesn't get cold enough to worry that often here in OK...