Bad storm....power is down

flower

I'm on the laptop, we have no power, and huge branches and and a tree is blocking our road from lightening strikes. Everyone here on my block is okay. A neighbors house has a tree sitting on the back area of the house but he isn't home. It looks like his was the only house where a tree hit when it went down.
We were watching the news as the storm approached, I'm not sure what a microburst is.

flower

Thanks...power is out and I'm a little worried about the SH tank getting warm. It's 97 with the heat index. The tank was 75, (the warmest I ever let it get) when the power shut off. It's so eerie quiet.
Trucks already came through and moved the trees from the road. They said they will pick up the big branches if we put them close to the curb...I have been out of work with my back, and knees so no way can I go pulling on big branches....I e-mailed my landlord, the cells are not working, so a tower must be down. He has a desktop computer so he won't even see my message until power is restored.
Nobody was hurt..so far as we know, so it really isn't that big a deal.

meowzer

WOW...glad you are ok Flower.....did you ever get a power inverter? You know like the one that plugs into your car cigarette lighter
One of them with an extension cord would run a fan and a small powerhead or your bubbler

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/386610/bad-storm-power-is-down#post_3396727
WOW...glad you are ok Flower.....did you ever get a power inverter? You know like the one that plugs into your car cigarette lighter
One of them with an extension cord would run a fan and a small powerhead or your bubbler
No...I can run to the store if the outage continues, and I can get a portable air pump, a few hours won't hurt anything. Wally world has fans that run on batteries as well. I don't want to get on the road with all the emergency vehicles trying to move trees. Temp on the SH tank is still saying 75. If I attach a line it will increase the heat from the air. I have all the shades drawn and trying to maintain the cool in the house while the AC was on...but I can already feel the temp climbing with the AC off.
Blah...forget it .....I'm off to go to the stores and get what I need.

btldreef

IF the temp rises too much, throw some ice cubes in a baggie, double bagged, it can help bring down the temp

mantisman51

Glad your house was spared. Been an extreme weather year all over the country. For some reason I thought you were in California.

flower

UPDATE:
Power is almost gone on the laptop.....No generators or battery pumps.... all sold out within 100 miles. So I am dipping water in the tanks to stir them up and to keep them alive. I ordered a generator because this is the last and only time I will have this problem. The horse tank is still reading 75, so far so good. Power is supposed to be out for 3 to 4 days according to the authorities.
This is what I ordered: I hope they ship it in a couple of days

Since 1964 Buffalo tools has been a leader in the Hardware industry. Buffalo Tools offers the widest range of high quality Tools including Air tools, Power Tools, Hand tools and other construction and hardware products. The 3250 Watt Generator is a great solution for recreational activities as well as for temporary power supply in case of power outages. It has a 6.5HP 4-Stroke OHV Engine with a recoil start. Its affordable but well thought out with full featured options such as Automatic Low Oil Shutdown and Circuit Protection. The GEN3250 is ably equipped with Two 120 Volt AC Outlet and One 12 Volt DC Outlet to charge a battery for your Boat, RV, ATV or Auto. This unit is the perfect size to take for that weekend getaway, to tailgate the game at the stadium or in case you need some temporary power in an emergency situation. It’s Ideal for hunters and campers running portable TVs, radio, small stoves, grills, and other small appliances.

• 6.5 HP 4 stroke OHV engine delivers 3250 Watt max and 2500 continuous power

• Lightweight at only 98 lbs. makes it very portable

• 4 Gallon capacity offers a runtime of 8 hrs at 50% load

• Easy pull, recoil start

• 2-120 Volt AC outlet

• 1-12 Volt DC outlet

• Low noise: Only 68 dB

• Circuit protection to prevent overloads

• Low oil shutdown to protect your investment

• Ideal size for hunters and campers running portable TV’s, radios, small stoves, grills, and small appliances

• MFG Model # : GEN3250
    MFG Part # : GEN3250

Specifications

Amperage (amps) : 20 A
Assembled Depth (in.) : 24 in
Assembled Height (in.) : 18 in
Assembled Width (in.) : 18 in
Auto idle control : No
Automatic Voltage Regulation
: Yes
Built-in inverter
: No
CSA Listed
Depth (in)
: 24 in
ETL Listed
Electrical Product Type : Portable Generator
[*]
Engine Displacement (cc) : 196
[*]
Engine manufacturer : Sportsman
[*]
Fuel Gauge : Yes
[*]
Fuel tank capacity (gallons) : 4
[*]
Fuel type : Gasoline
[*]
Full load fuel consumption (gallons/hour) : 8
[*]
Height (in) : 18 in
[*]
Horsepower (hp) : 6.5 hp
[*]
Item Weight : 98 lb
[*]
Low oil shutdown : Yes
[*]
Manufacturer Warranty : 90 Day
[*]
Muffler : Yes
[*]
Number of circuits/outlets : 3
[*]
Operational volume (dB) : 65
Osha Required GFCI Outlets
Output Receptacles
: 2
Product Height (in.)
: 18
Product Length (in.)
: 24 in
Product Weight (lb.)
: 98
Product Width (in.)
: 18
Rated wattage continuous (watts)
: 2500
Rated wattage peak (watts)
: 3250
Returnable
: 30-Day
Run time at 50% load (hours/tank)
: 8
UL Listed
: 1-UL Listed
Voltage Rating
: 120
Width (in)
: 18 in
var locStoreZip = readCookie("THD_STRFINDERZIP");

function invokeBopisOverlay(quantity){
var canInvokeBopisOverlay = true,
myNewUrl = '',
$link;
if(quantity == '' || quantity == null){
alert("quantity field cannot be blank");
canInvokeBopisOverlay = false;
return;
}
if (!isCheckNumeric(quantity)) {
return;
}
if (!isPositiveInt(quantity)) {
return;
}
if(canInvokeBopisOverlay){
$link = $('#id_PIP_invokeBopisOverlay');
myNewUrl = $link.attr('href');
if (myNewUrl.indexOf('quantity=')>-1) {
myNewUrl = myNewUrl.replace(/quantity=d*/, 'quantity='+quantity)
} else {
myNewUrl = myNewUrl+'&quantity='+quantity;
}
$link.attr('href',myNewUrl);
}else{
eval("document.getElementById('superPIP__f_quantity').focus()");
}
}
function isCheckNumeric(strString) {
var strValidChars = "01234567890";
var msg = 'The quantity field must be a positive number!';
var strChar;
var blnResult = true;
for (i = 0; i < strString.length && blnResult == true; i++){
strChar = strString.charAt(i);
if (strValidChars.indexOf(strChar) == -1) {
blnResult = false;
alert(msg);
}
}
return blnResult;
}
function isPositiveInt(c) {
// check to make sure the current value is greater then zero
var msg = 'The quantity field must contain a number greater than zero!';
if (parseInt(c) < 1) {
alert(msg);
return false;
} else {
return true;
}
}
function checkQty(quantity,errorqtyDiv,limitQtyDiv){
if(qtyLimit!=null && qtyLimit

meowzer

That should work for you....sorry to hear it is gonna last longer though :(
What are you gonna do for now???

tangs rule

I am SO glad to see someone else get serious and get a little generator! After having my reef tank crash due to NO power for 9 days after hurricane Ike, it was the best insurance money to have....Now all ya need is some spare gasoline, I'd say at least 25 gallons. Your generator could use up to 8 gal/hr under heavy load. Way to go Flower! I hope your power is on very soon, (like now)

mproctor4

Sorry Flower. We will keep our fingers crossed for you. Wish you were closer we would bring the battery pumps to you. Do you have any friends/neighbors close by that are fishermen that might have a battery operated pump you could borrow? At least you have a fairly low bioload if the tops are off hopefully the o2 levels will be okay. Your gonna have to set an alarm clock thru the night. At least your okay.

monsinour

as far as genes go, on wheels, made by honda and your all set. I see a problem of moving the gene to where you want it without wheels on it. Also, the sportsman engines are kidna loud. IT will work, once you have it to where you need it. It should run both tanks you have without a problem with a little left over for a fan and a light.

al&burke

Sorry to hear this Flower, I just got home from Chicago yesterday, those stroms are supposed to be coming this way, keep our fingers crossed. Good luck with everything.

1guydude

Sry flower =( bout the tanks! Glad to hear u and ur house r okay! =)
+1 on double baggin some ice if needed!

flower

UPDATE:
I'm at Wal-Mart on my laptop to try and get it charged. There is no internet, the tower is down by my house. I'm still out of power...DAY 3 getting a generator today. I lost the tangs and my lemonpeel angael, the horses are stessed but I haven't lost any of them yet. Two males are not eating and I think I might lose them.
I'm stirring water and doing small water changes every two hours around the clock
Thats it until power is restored. I'm still online while this thing charges....Yes I'm crying.

meowzer

Sorry to hear this Flower......Don't know what to say....hopefully the generator will get there today and you can get things running again

mproctor4

Flower--I feel just sick for you. I know the heartbreak watching them die and not being able to do anything. Will say lots of prays for the horses. Sorry.