bak pak 2 bubbles

langcjl

I put a bak pak 2 on my 55 FOWLR tonight and now I have millions of little bubbles in the tank. I see the bubble trap online that replaces the bio bale. Does this work or is there another solution to the bubbles that the Bak Pak makes? Thanks

crypt keeper

I took out the bio bale. Added live rock rubble in the return and let it sit on the bottom. I added a decent amount. Then added Bio balls. Then added that black sponge filter to the top. I pushed it down enough that the water could flow through it and out the top back into the tank. It has stopped 98% of all bubbles. It also lowered my trates even more than then bio bale junk.

crypt keeper

after I modified it it works great. I have a 1/2 cup a day and sometimes its nasty stuff. I Almost wanna do a water change. It didnt work that great at first. It started sucking up too much water and not enough junk. Then I modified it to my liking after and now its great. Id get one on any of my smaller tanks.

frightmare

I always had micro bubbles coming out of mine, even with trap, but I used amquel for my tap water. Anything like that increases the surface tension of the water, and will make the bubbles worse.

meowzer

Originally Posted by crypt keeper
http:///forum/post/3017950
after I modified it it works great. I have a 1/2 cup a day and sometimes its nasty stuff. I Almost wanna do a water change. It didnt work that great at first. It started sucking up too much water and not enough junk. Then I modified it to my liking after and now its great. Id get one on any of my smaller tanks.
I just ordered the BAK PAK 2....it's for my 29G....
Did it come with the black sponge filter....or did you have to buy one...MAN...this had to be posted AFTER I ordered it

crypt keeper

I took one out of the back of my nano. Mine only came with the blue bio bale junk. That stuff harbors watse and will keep trates up. Its a great design but just needs a little do it yourself to make it work better. I can get a few pictures when I get home. Im thinking about setting of up a mini fuge in one of the chambers. Plenty of room.
My trates have dropped 50ppm since I did the modifications. They are at 10ppm right now. That because I feed a lot and need another powerhead for better flow.
Also any chemicals added to the water and after a water change it produces lots of bubbles for about a day.

meowzer

I'd appreciate pics....I only have sand and SW in the tank so far..lol...my rock comes tomorrow, and the skimemr and light probably the end of the week...so I have time.
It doesn't sound like you had to do too much to it though

I hate buying something abd having to mod it...as much as this stuff costs, you would think it would work perfect

cabin7882

I still have the bio bale in mine maybe that's why I can never have 0 trates and why it doesn't work that well? so what should I put in the back? LR rubble?

crypt keeper

Well trates never go higher than 10ppm. When I do a water change it goes back down to 0 then slowly builds up over a week and half. Then I do another water change. Unless you have corals trates arent that big of a deal.
I was out getting my woman a bike last night. When I got home I forgot to get pictures. I will get some tonight.

meowzer

http:///forum/post/3018949
Well trates never go higher than 10ppm. When I do a water change it goes back down to 0 then slowly builds up over a week and half. Then I do another water change. Unless you have corals trates arent that big of a deal.
I was out getting my woman a bike last night. When I got home I forgot to get pictures. I will get some tonight.
I hope it was a motorcycle and not an exercise bike

meowzer

http:///forum/post/3018965
If it was an exercise bike Id find a new woman. Picked her up an 09 Kawasaki Ninja 250. Black in Color
WHY..you have something against exercising

Should have gotten her a black shadow 650

crypt keeper

LOL. Im all about staying in shape. I lift everyday. Call me shallow, but I was attracted to her by how she looks now. Not 50 pounds heavier or lighter.
Shawdow is a good bike. She likes that sporty look. The 250 offers that and is pratical. They have an amazibg resale vaule as well. We were looking at used 08's and people wanted near the same as new.

langcjl

I let the bubbles go for 2 days and now they are gone. The thing is working perfectly! I will replace the bio bale with live rock though. I just like that better. The skimmer is pulling out dirty foam. This is the fourth skimmer I have ever purchased and the only one to ever pull out a significant quantity of waste. I am very happy with it.
It didnt fit real well on the back of my tank and I had to place a piece of wood between the skimmer and tank to make it fit snug. I dont know if I am missing a part or what. I have a regular All Glass tank. The top screw is too short.

crypt keeper

The problem is the Bio bale will capture larger pieces of waste the cup missed out on.
This is what Mine pulls daily. Im in no mood to pull it off the back and take pictures. I took pictures of my cup and the crap in it against a sofa arm in a clear bowl.
I just did this 5 minutes ago.

My tank. Crystal Clear. I feed daily and a lot. I also have a eel in there.

crypt keeper

The bubbles are because I took the collection cup off. The chamber that fills with bubbles has an overflow Hole. It started to flow in the hole and over as you can see from the picture of the skimmer.