Baking Soda as Ph Buffer?

big

Baking Soda is all I have ever used.............
I thought it had a maximum PH of 8.2............
Lets see.. I just put a teaspoon in one cup in water and mixed it well.........
My Milwaukee SW Meter says 8.18 for PH....

ophiura

It is just so critical to understand there is more to pH than, well, a pH reading. As Bang Guy points out...security blanket statements can lead hobbyists perhaps to be a litle less cautious than they need to be.
If you are dosing a 100,000g tank, and have a master lab (I also got to do the water chems using the HACH DR4000 spectrophotometer, calcium titration, etc...you can monitor a lot of things.
There are REASONS that a product may only achieve a max pH of _____ . and it is a complex chemical reason that may cause further impacts on the tank or animals. So whatever you add, regardless of how safe it is, should be dosed carefully and accurately.
Consider it like food. I mean, its food. Necessary, delicious...and too much of it will destroy your tank either within days or years.

big

Originally Posted by ophiura
http:///forum/post/3134595
It is just so critical to understand there is more to pH than, well, a pH reading. As Bang Guy points out...security blanket statements can lead hobbyists perhaps to be a litle less cautious than they need to be.
If you are dosing a 100,000g tank, and have a master lab (I also got to do the water chems using the HACH DR4000 spectrophotometer, calcium titration, etc...you can monitor a lot of things.
There are REASONS that a product may only achieve a max pH of _____ . and it is a complex chemical reason that may cause further impacts on the tank or animals. So whatever you add, regardless of how safe it is, should be dosed carefully and accurately.
Consider it like food. I mean, its food. Necessary, delicious...and too much of it will destroy your tank either within days or years.
Good point and well said Susan...

bang guy

Originally Posted by fishfreek
http:///forum/post/3134560
Bang...what do you suggest using for buffer?
I use limewater to maintain Calcium and Alkalinity. When Calcium is good but Alkalinity is low I use Baking soda to increase just the alkalinity. Take it slow though, adding too much at once can indeed cause trouble as Florida Joe has pointed out.