Ball Python - help

ninjamini

I know its not a reef Q. But does anyone know about ball pythons? My 6 year old just got bit by one and I was concerned by saminolla. Damm neighbor.
O'yea are ball pythons reef safe? I figured I ask that so that its ok to put in the reef forum.

reefkprz

there are all kinds of bacterial infections that can arise from a snake bite, disinfect the bite with triple antibiotic cream. like neosporin as long as its a bacitracin/zinc antibiotic cream, wash well preferably with dial antibiotic soap or similar. then just keep an eye on it make sure for the next day or so the rednness around the bite doesnt seem to get larger, if you see red runners traveling lenghtwise in the next day or two take you kid to the hospital it could be blood poisoning. the antibiotic should take care of that though.
ball pythons arent reef safe.

ninjamini

Thanx reefkprZ.
I used to keep reptiles and I knew that but I never kept these guys. You know you forget everything you know when its your kid. You become like rainman. Kmart sucks.
How irresponsible of the neighbor. Keeping a snake with a 6 year old. And no you should not keep one if your 6 yo does not know not to touch it and never let others touch it.

trainfever

Your kid got bit by a snake and rather than take him or her to a hospital, you chose to ask a question on a message board about whether or not the snake could be disease ridden? Sounds like an episode from Maury Povich. You dont by any chance live in a trailor park do you?

hot883

I am going to move this to the aquarium where it belongs. Hopefully someone with more knowledge on the subject will see it there.

30-xtra high

yea.. size matters,

but seriously, if it is big enough to where it has teeth that actually penetrated the skin clean it out, she won't get salmonella, but it can easily get infected if not cleaned, but if it was a baby, she should be fine, wash her hands just cuz, but she should be fine.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I have kept ball pythons for about 8 yrs. And have been bitten a couple of times. If the snake is in good health, I don't really see any reason for worry, however, you may want to contact your pediatrician for medical advise. S/He may want to start your son on antibiotics just for safety sake. Your neighbor shouldn't be exposing children to the pet snake.
I'm sure you cleaned the wound site with an antiseptic, and continue to use neosporan on it until it starts to heal.

ninjamini

Thanx all.
Jack, There's a snake in the plane. Thats just my pet snake reggie.
Snakes why did it have to be snakes.

sharkboy13

Originally Posted by ninjamini
Thanx all.
Jack, There's a snake in the plane. Thats just my pet snake reggie.
Snakes why did it have to be snakes.
i hated that movie! it was the bigget piece of bs i evr saw! a lady died of an eyelash viper bite real quick but a lil kid survived the entire flight w/ a cobra bite

ninjamini

Originally Posted by Sharkboy13
i hated that movie! it was the bigget piece of bs i evr saw! a lady died of an eyelash viper bite real quick but a lil kid survived the entire flight w/ a cobra bite

Wait. You hated Indiana Jones? If that movie was bad I don't know whats good.

30-xtra high

Originally Posted by Sharkboy13
my guess is you're talkin bout snakes on a plane.. it looked so bad i didn't see it, and the name sucks, but for people who actually own snakes wouldn't like it anyways considering the fact that we actually know stuff about snakes..

ninjamini

Originally Posted by 30-xtra high
my guess is you're talkin bout snakes on a plane.. it looked so bad i didn't see it, and the name sucks, but for people who actually own snakes wouldn't like it anyways considering the fact that we actually know stuff about snakes..
Yea you would think all they had to do was to turn the air on really cold and they would all have gotten sluggish.
"Every great movie has a muse inspiring it. Except that snake on a plane movie I had nothing to do with that piece of Sh*t!"

sharkboy13

Originally Posted by 30-xtra high
ya thats what i was talkin about, indiana jones was ok,l not the highest on my list tho

jakob

im sure your kid will be ok. I have gotten bitten by tons of snakes, lizards and turtles. most of them were wild and I have never had any kind of infection and a lot of them broke the skin. not sure but I think salmonella has to be ingested (but don't quote me). keep us updated