Bang Guy..Quick question, or anyone else.

crzyfshygy

I have a rock in my tank that keeps growing Aptasia on it. I have tried several different methods to remove it only for them to come back a couple days later such as Joes Juice.
I was thinking what if I did a water change and took a few gallons of that water and boiled it then put the LR in there for a few minutes.
Do you think all the bacteria on the rock would dies off?
Would the Aptasia die off??
Would putting the rock back in the tank cause an amonia spike?
Just a thought to cure the Aptasia problem.

mpls man

try using joes juice. works very well for me every time.
you can also try kalkwasser, mix into a paste then inject into the mouth of the aptasia with a syringe.

granny

Ive been fortunate to have a tank full of live, healthy, large peppermint shrimp that clean any growing aiptasia off my rock, but when I purchase a new rock that happens to have some on it, I pour gingerale on it. I now this sounds wierd, but it has worked better than anything else I have tried because I can pour it directly into the hole where the critter is so it does not damage anything else on the rock. Hot water kills off the bacteria and will usually cause the rock to turn white. Eventually, it will recover and the coraline will come back, but it takes a while and doesnt look so hot during this time.
The problem I had with the syring was that the AIP would withdraw deep into the rock as soon as I got near them with a syringe and I could never actually get it into the mouth of the offender. If you go with ginger ale, pour it directly into the hole and leave the rock out for a while-place some wet(with your tank water) over the rest of the rock to keep it moist. After about 20-30 minutes, rinse with tank water, then put it in your tank. This always works for me. Again, if I miss any, I count on my shrimp to dispose of it, but they only get the small ones.

supalupa

Yes my tank is a reef. I have zoos, hammers, frogspawn, brain, green star polyps, mushrooms etc. Got lucky that the Flame only eats aptasia and doesn't pick on anything else.

reefreak29

my tank is 18 months old ,i struggled with aptasia for 16 of those months trying everything the aptasia was well over 200 in my tank, i finally buoght a cbb and it is now all gone and the cbb now eats mysis and doing very well, but thats not always the case

mpls man

how does the copper branded butterfly do in your reef tank. i've been wanting to get 1 but the lfs has said they are tempermental and do not do well in reefs?. are they a type to get ick?

bang guy

Originally Posted by crzyfshygy
I have a rock in my tank that keeps growing Aptasia on it. I have tried several different methods to remove it only for them to come back a couple days later such as Joes Juice.
I was thinking what if I did a water change and took a few gallons of that water and boiled it then put the LR in there for a few minutes.
Do you think all the bacteria on the rock would dies off?
Would the Aptasia die off??
Would putting the rock back in the tank cause an amonia spike?
Just a thought to cure the Aptasia problem.
It would make the rock a lot less effective because it would kill the critters inside. The bacteria would quickly grow back but most of the critters wouldn't.
Try boiling water and use a turkey baster to squirt boiling water on the Aiptasis. Hit it several times from close range.