Bang Guy!!!!!!

howardj

I need help!!
I got two Bangaii Cardinals at my LFS the other day. Which I thought were 'male' and 'female'. The male disappeared, vanished, I have NO clue what happened to him.. it happened overnight.
The female is still in my tank.
So, Today, I buy another 'male'. When I put him into the tank, the 'female' started to peck his side, she did this twice. Then late, they were found swimming side by side, literally touching, and they both 'flicked' off of each other, went around in circles and did this a few more times. The female went back down to her 'home' and late came back up and pecked the 'male' back on his side, and then they did they flicking thing again.
Are they courting? Are they fighting? Are they really 'Male' and 'Female'?!?!
Please help!
Right now the lights are off, and for the most part they are in the general area next to each other, occasionally the 'female' goes back to her 'home'
Here is a pic:

howardj

Male - More squared jaw than the female, longer second dorsal fin
Female - Less squared, more abrupt and slanted, and a short second dorsal fin.
The one on the top is the Male, and the one on the bottom is the Female.
Right Bang Guy?

yummysalt

Originally Posted by HowardJ
http:///forum/post/2913156
Right Bang Guy?
My female Bangai have a longer dorsal fin then my male. I know this because when they have babies, the male with the eggs fin is shorter. I don't know if that is how you tell it from a male and female.
So by having babies, I have identify my male and female by the white dot on their side. The female have 3 side ways, and the male have 2 side ways. Female longer 2nd dorsal fin, Male jaw is wider and more squared like mentioned. And I do not remember, but one of them have a much bigger dot on the middle of "it" bottom lip.
This is what I see with my bang. By no way am I saying, this is how it is, it's just my observation.

bang guy

Originally Posted by HowardJ
http:///forum/post/2913156
Right Bang Guy?
I've never been able to tell Banggai gender unless the male has carried eggs once.

T

tfolke1

Originally Posted by saltygerman
http:///forum/post/2914490
Ok now I'm confused. I have 2 with second dorsal fin longer are they the same ---? Male or Female?
Look for a hole in the live rock closest to where the fish swims. Wait until one hour after the lights go out, and shine a red lensed flashlight into the hole in the rock.
If the hole is full of shoes its a female, if the hole is full of empty beer cans, its a male.