Bang Guy's Latest Experiment

S

sebae0

everyone on this board has one of the controlled setups with regular lights of some sort, the only thing he hasn't done is with a mix of blacklight and reg lights so ther is not much to decide. water is controlled, the only other possible combo would be reg lights with black lights instead of actinics.

T

tizzo

Originally posted by Bang Guy
Thanks for mentioning this. I've come to the same conclusion. Now I need to find out why. I'm guessing either Phosphate or phytoplankton.
Great, more work to do. :rolleyes:

I am observing this thread mostly to learn your conclusions, but I have a hypothasoos here... One thing I notice first under black lights is a persons teeth. How they glow. Is it possible that it's the actual calcium in the water that's causing the water to appear hazy. Ooh, ooh put the black light over your premixed kalk batch, I gotta know!!

poolguy

ummmm, i am so shcoked the tree huggers aren't chiming in on this one... bang, put a tang in there to, so the tang police will lose their minds....

bang guy

I have discovered that working near the lights is difficult because my "Transitions" prescription glasses go black whenever I'm near it.
I've placed a white piece of plastic over the top so I don't kill myself in my basement by running into something.
Does anyone know if White PVC reflects UVA light??

ohioreef

Originally posted by Kip4130
<Daydreaming>
I see bang bumbling around his basement with his dark glasses and falling into his lagoon.
"Ouch, damn urchin!"
:) :) :)

ROTFLMAO!!!

razoreqx

Originally posted by Bang Guy
I have discovered that working near the lights is difficult because my "Transitions" prescription glasses go black whenever I'm near it.
I've placed a white piece of plastic over the top so I don't kill myself in my basement by running into something.
Does anyone know if White PVC reflects UVA light??

White PVC would absorb the UVA

bang guy

Originally posted by RazorEQX
Glass would if it was angled right.

LOL, I'm just envisioning the contraption required to reflect the UV from three bulbs using the correct angles of glass. :notsure:
Something like a 45 degree angle?

bang guy

Originally posted by DSkidmore
I'm way to scientifically minded. After a reasonable ammount of time, I would repeate the experiment with mixed blacklight and normal specrum lighting, then again with just normal (although you may already have data on that), and again with no light at all.

Yep, after pondering and reading other posts the correct way to do it would be sequentially but with several iterations.
1 - 3 10,000K lamps
2 - 2 10,000K lamps + 1 UVA
3 - 1 10,000K + 2 UVA
4 - 3 UVA
This would have had much more data.
However, for now I just want to see if they'll survive #4. If they don't make it I'll try #2 to see if it's just a lack of light that is a bad thing or if the UVA is actually damaging them.

bang guy

The Candy Cane, Green Hairy Mushroom, and the Green Mushroom are thriving.
There's a Montipora Digitata that's doing pretty good considering the lack of PAR. Polyps are not growing but not dying. The Clownfish appear to be completely unaffected. The Yellow Leather and Orange Ricordea also appear fine.
OTOH, The Xenia and Orange Mushroom are doing poorly and will have to be removed soon or they will die. The Tulip Anemone already died. This is surprising because I can keep them in the dark just fine if they get food. Everything in the tank is very well fed.
It's time to switch to Phase 2.

pyro

I don't understand why you are using lights in Phase II. I think you would benefit much more by just doing the same thing w/o any lights at all. That way you could tell if the black light were doing anything at all, and at the same time rule out if they were harming it.
My 2 cents - good luck

bang guy

Originally posted by Pyro
I don't understand why you are using lights in Phase II. I think you would benefit much more by just doing the same thing w/o any lights at all. That way you could tell if the black light were doing anything at all, and at the same time rule out if they were harming it.

The corals in the tank are all photosynthetic and will die without light. There's no need to test that.