Bang, Squidd....Anyone who can answer this..Please

jess74

Squidd-
I was typing when you posted, sorry. Thank you for that excellent explanation of CC!
:yes: Those are the EXACT reasons I'm changing mine!

spmnarciso

spmnarciso-
After all I've read on the CC, I just don't want it anymore! Besides, from all my reading; I don't think that Calcium at almost 500 is good, I would much rather keep mine around 460 or so. I'm really not sure that it is the salt though, I've been using the same salt for over 2 months now, and my Calcium jump has just been within the last month. I think anyway, time goes so fast, I should double check on that.
Are you a CC fan?
:) [/B]
I'm not sure if I'm a fan, but I have about 20% of it in my 4" sand bed. And my calcium and alk stay high (440 & 10.6) all the time and all I can figure is that maybe that CC is helping. It's a struggle for me also to understand what this all means and why mine stays were it has been for 2 months now. Good luck, I 'd love to fine out more about the causes of yours being the way it is.

jess74

spmnarciso-
Do you do regular water changes? From my small range of understanding, the water changes help to keep your water readings in check; such as PH, Cal, etc.
My water test were excellent for about 3 months, then they went nuts, I do vacuum the CC, but my Nitrates still went up to 20. Since I started feeding less (so much so that my goby ventures to the top of my LR looking for food), and due frequent small water changes, my Trate is back down to 10.
Maybe since you don't have all CC you may be ok, but I loathe the day I put mine in! I can't wait to get my new sand in there! :joy:
Yeah, I too would like to know the cause of all my Calcium!

shrkbait

would there be a large source of carbon dioxide in your tank that has occured in the last month? Just a thought. The possibility is highly unlikely, but high co2 will dissolve calcium and raise your calcium levels. You would probaly have bad ph and alk levels as well. Since your ph is ok, its not likely to be the cause. Unless the ph drops during the introduction of the source of co2 and raises when the co2 is depleted, leaving behind a high calcium problem. Again, probably not it, but it sounds lame enough that it might have some truth to it.

jess74

Does anyone know HOW MUCH air is ok in the syringe? I know it says this won't effect the results, but is it possible there it too much air? I thought it looked like a lot, but figured Salifert knows better then me since it was in the directions. :notsure:
I'm going to re-test my sample water mixes a little later today and also my plain RO water and will post the results. But if anyone knows about the air thing, I'm trying to eliminate any possibilities.

jess74

OH, DUH!!! :rolleyes: Never mind my previous post, I should have thought that through better.
The only way that would make any difference is if I had run out of the test solution in the syringe; and while it came close, I didn't so pretend I didn't ask that stupid question!
:D

squidd

Actually NO..:D
That's kind of what I wa getting at in the previous post...
There should be no air in the syringe up to the level you draw out so you can get a "true" reading of how much you "drop" in to get an accurate reading...:thinking:

jess74

Squidd-
Ok, either my brain is fried today or I'm just really dense. In either case, I didn't understand a word you said! Could you explain please... What do you mean there should be no air in up to the level you draw out??
BTW- I'm checking my results now, if your still around and can tell me what you mean, maybe I can make sure I'm doing it right. :D

jess74

Ok, I reread the directions (for about the tenth time) and I can't see that I'm doing any of the steps wrong. It says in the directions that the air that is present would be the amount that was present between the end of the plastic tip and the piston. I'd say then that I have the right amount of air.
I check the water, just Calcium so far; should I check the Alk too? Here was the result:
Oceanic

Cal. 495
RO Water

Cal. 0
:notsure: :eek: :rolleyes:

squidd

There should be no air bubbles in the syringe when you draw out the reagent...
If there are, you need to flip the syringe over, (plunger down/tip up) and "tap" the syringe to get bubbles to rise to the top...kind of like a Dr. would do when giving a shot...Then push out the air and continue to fill syringe with reagent to the 100ml line...
Any "bubble" in the syringe "tube" will throw off your "true" volume dispenced (hence your readings)
This includes the air that may end up in the "tip"...
When you fill the syringe the tip should have fluid in it...and when you dispence the needed ammount the tip should still have fluid in it.
The ammount dispenced is read off the "tube" of the syringe and and is compensated for the amount in the "tip"
If there are any "bubble" issues in the syringe it will give you the impression that you dispenced more than you actually did and have a "higher" reading than you actually do...
The difference between 440 and 495 is only a drop or two that was taken up by "air"...

jess74

Then why do ALL the directions, not just the Calcium state that air in the syringe is normal and WILL NOT effect the test results?? :eek: :confused:

jess74

Ok, after you said that I recalled reading posts a while ago about the Salifert test kits and air in the syringe; I did a search for 'air in syringe' and I found it. They said on there that air was normal, the guy who asked about it then checked it both ways with air and without;
With Air: 450
Without: 440
:notsure:

spmnarciso

I asked that same question when I first got my Salifert kit, and it clearly states on the Salifert instructions that air will be present in the syringe and is normal. Think about it, it's the same measurement, since there is an extention to the syringe via the needle.

jess74

spmnarciso-
Yes, I'm sorry it was you. I forgot to look and then when I was typing I couldn't remember who had asked! :D

squidd

That's cool... I guess if they say a little air is OK I'll buy that...
Without "seeing" it (your syringe) it would be hard to say if it was too much air...
I just grabed my Sea Chem Mag/Alk/Borate kit (and ran some tests)...In the instructions, under "Tips" it says to insert the syringe into the tritant solution and "pump" the plunger several times to "expel" all the air...and if neccessary to hold the syringe upright and "tap" till air rises and can be expelled and then refilling/topping off the syringe to the 1cc mark...

Several things here . . . first off, air in the syringe is normal. Its the air that is in the plastic tip before you draw up solution. It should roughly be at or around the 1.0 mark when the plunger is drawn all the way up. It will not alter the results.
Secondly, I do not remember if you have already done this, but could you please refresh my memory on everything that is in the tank, how long it has been there, and how long the tank has been set up.
Thanks

spmnarciso

Originally posted by 007
Several things here . . . first off, air in the syringe is normal. Its the air that is in the plastic tip before you draw up solution. It should roughly be at or around the 1.0 mark when the plunger is drawn all the way up. It will not alter the results.
Secondly, I do not remember if you have already done this, but could you please refresh my memory on everything that is in the tank, how long it has been there, and how long the tank has been set up.
Thanks

Just trying to understand here. You're saying that the air bubble should be at the 1.0 ml mark when you do the test or are you just clarifing that if you pull the syringe all the way up that the bubble WOULD be at the 1.0 mark?

Originally posted by spmnarciso
if you pull the syringe all the way up that the bubble WOULD be [around] the 1.0 mark?

:yes:
In other words, if the plunger is pulled all the way to the top, as far as it will go, the liquid reagent will fill up to around
the 1.0 mark. Then when you start the plunger back down to the 1.0 mark, there will be air between 0.9 and 1.0.
It wont afftect the test at all because when the plunger is pushed all the way to the bottom, you cant push any more so nothing more will come out . . . so if you go rid of that air bubble, you would have a bunch of liquid left in the plastic tip when the plunger is pushed all the way down . . . . see what I am saying?
(my mind is wandering into the gutter as I type this . . . all this liquid left in the tip :scared: )

jess74

007-
Thanks for the input! Hmm... then maybe I do have too much air. If I draw the plunger back so its at the 1.0 mark; like the directions say. Then I have an air bubble that goes from the 1.0 to the 0.8. So what your saying 007, is that the bubble should only go to the 0.9 mark right? :notsure:
Ok, here is the run down of my tank and occupants:
36 gal. bow front
Tank setup Oct. 2003; Cycle finished mid-Nov. (I think that's when it was)
30 lbs. CC (for now)
approx. 40 lbs. LR
Eheim Professional II Canister filter
Sea Clone 150 Protein skimmer
2 PH
Orbit PC light 2x96
This is what's in there now, but the 3 fish will be removed tomorrow, so only the inverts and other stuff will be left:
1 green chromis
1 4 stripe
1 goby
1 cleaner shrimp
1 pep shrimp
1 x-mas tree rock
1 mushroom rock
polyps
8 snails
8 red-leg hermits
3 turbo snails
While I do want to know where the excess Calcium is coming from (as long as its not the test that's wrong). I was planning on changing my CC this week; should I still go ahead with this, or should I put it on hold until I figure this all out? :notsure: