Bangaii Cardinal has babies!

cjml

:help: Hello all. Well my Bangaii cardinal has babies--very suprised!! -- 3 are out already-there are several more still in his mouth. What are the chances of their survival? Tank is too big to try and catch them. Tankmates are several Chromis, 1 powder tang, 1 Flame cardinal,2 Gobies(they also had eggs recently but they seem to be gone) hermit crabs . Lots of live rock-- afew corals. The babies so far are hiding out in my Flower pot coral. Water quality is good.
Just wondering! thanks gor any input!
ML

viper_930

You can get them a spiny urchin. They love to hid in the spine on them. It may increase their chances of survival because the other tankmate won't be able to catch them as easily.

viper_930

I don't know much about urchins. Do you have a harlequin shrimp? I think they eat certain kinds of urchins. What other animals do you have in your tank?

cjml

Thanks! We have 2 cleaner shrimp 2 fire shrimp, 1 Sally lightfoot & of course snails--thats about it! I think my main worry is our Flame cardinal. Hes already checking them out!

ecook

Yeah they're great, except for the fact that they eat corralline algae. So yeah, if you don't ming the look of bare rock, go for it.

cjml

Are you talking about the urchins? or the fish? No need for sarcasim-this is a learning place.

fmarini

cjml
do a google search for banggai cardinals and you'll find a bunch of article son raising and breeding these fish. i will tell you that th emale is carrying between 15-50 fry and most eill not make it in your tank, they become tankfood or filter food, either way if you are interested in raising many of the fry you'll have to isolate them and feed them. As for the urchin diadema sea urchins are one of the protective hosts for banggai fry
do a search
frank

cjml

Thankyou Frank! I will check out those searches on Google. We did have 11 babies-all still alive & well-- we have made shelter for them in the tank- we do not have any overly aggressive meat eating fish in the tank. We shall see. We are in the process of trying to set up a smaller extra tank. Thanks!
Have a great night!
Marylou

ecook

People shouldn't give advice if they don't know what they are talking about, thats why I get annoyed.
Urchins eat corralline. I know I really struggle with all of my SPS, LPS, coralline, and inverts to keep my calcium levels up so I can have these desireable things. No urchins kept in aquariums are known to me coralline safe.
Often they do take shelter in urchins or in amenones (the famed Inland Aquatics captive raises them just blocks from me, and I've seen babies MANY times takng shelter in RBTA's. None of this is necessary, however, if you don't have any predators.
Feed them baby brine shrimp which have been enriched with selcon or other commercial supplement (Kent makes one which is so-so, and VitaChem is also good but I for the life of me right now can't come up with who makes it.) I use Selcon and pay $9 for a bottle and it lasts a long time.
I also keep mine in a 10 gallon aquarium until I either sell them or pair them up. Its just a way of making them easily reached and also well observed for proper eating, health, ect.

ecook

People shouldn't give advice if they don't know what they are talking about, thats why I get annoyed.
Urchins eat corralline. I know I really struggle with all of my SPS, LPS, coralline, and inverts to keep my calcium levels up so I can have these desireable things. No urchins kept in aquariums are known to me coralline safe.
Often they do take shelter in urchins or in amenones (the famed Inland Aquatics captive raises them just blocks from me, and I've seen babies MANY times takng shelter in RBTA's. None of this is necessary, however, if you don't have any predators.
Feed them baby brine shrimp which have been enriched with selcon or other commercial supplement (Kent makes one which is so-so, and VitaChem is also good but I for the life of me right now can't come up with who makes it.) I use Selcon and pay $9 for a bottle and it lasts a long time.
I also keep mine in a 10 gallon aquarium until I either sell them or pair them up. Its just a way of making them easily reached and also well observed for proper eating, health, ect.

mr. tuna

ecook...
Many people on this site know MUCH MUCH more than u probably do. They are trying to help others, with correct information, so dont argue, and accuse others that they dont know what they are talking about!
AND.. this is not the first time i saw you reply a nasty
remark to someone, so CHILL OUT!!

bang guy

Please keep to the topic.
Personally I have found urchins to propogate coralline at such an incredible rate that I can barely keep up. I have about a dozen very large Urchins munching algae, including coralline, 24 hours a day and they just seem to spread it around.
As far as the baby Banggai, as Dr. Marini pointed out, all of your fish, shrimp, crabs, etc. will find baby Banggai a perfect sized meal. Their best hope is to remove them to a rearing tank.
Bang

badkharma

Mr. Tuna, I don't see how ecook insulted anyone or is arguing. Viper told him the babies might hide in urchins. Ecook reminded cjml that urchins eat coralline, a desireable thing (the coralline - not the eating of coralline) in most tanks. It is like someone prescribing a drug and someone else reminding the patient of side effects. It is good that he brought it up rather than have cjml buy an urchin only to find all his coralline stripped off and eaten. Like Bang said, some people have tanks that produce coralline so fast that the urchins can't keep up - others have their coralline disappear very quickly. The best advice is Bang Guy's - to probably raise them in a seperate tank - because more than likely they will become food for everything else, urchin or not.

viper_930

Is that intended towards me?

mr. tuna

viper:
i dont know who that comment was to, though
it is not something nice to say.
badkharma:
yes he insulted someone..And he has done it a
couple other times in other posts. And i want this ecook dude
to stop because i am really getting annoyed.

cjml

Hello all! Thankyou so much for all your help. I enjoy this site and come here to ask questions and learn. I appreciate everyones input. We are all always learning.
Marylou