Bangaii cardinals

dnraiders

hi
I saw a few very small bangaii cardinals at my local lfs. i want to get them but i want to breed them. so how do i know which is a male and a female? and how do i pair them up?
thanks

snakeblitz33

It's going to be hard to do, honestly. "Females are more rounded than males. It has been said that the dorsal rays of males are somewhat longer then females. It may or may not be true. The most reliable indicator of an individuals --- is the smape of the head and the jaw. When compaired to a female, the male has a more massive head and more pronounced lower jaw befitting his mouthbrooding duties. Females have a more rouned-off look with less prominent jaw. [...] look for two who seem to be hanging out together. These fish form pairs and rarely leave one another's side."
(The Complete Illustrated Breeder's Guide to Marine Aquarium Fishes; Matthew L. Wittenrich) That book is almost essential to learn how to breed marine fish.
I don't recommend starting with pelagic broodstock right off the bat. Start with a Demersal spawner such as a species of clownfish until you can get the hang of it.
There is a heck of a lot more to breeding fish then what you may think. For example what kinds of modes of nutrient export you are going to use, how your spawning tanks should be set up, how your live rearing tubs should be set up, lights, feeding phytoplankton, rotifers, artemia. Going from larval stage through metamorphosis to the juvenile state... and what to feed and how to keep up with everything... it's a major responsibility.
You can do it though, if you really really want to. I just recommend starting with clowns first.

bang guy

The major advantage of starting with breeding Banggai in my opinion is that they don't produce pelagic larvae so I'm not really sure why you would recommend starting with Clownfish. Clownfish have a larval stage that require tiny, live food. Banggai hatch as full juvenile fish and completely avoid the larval stage and subsequent metamorphasis, unlike Clownfish. This makes them a very easy first fish to breed.

snakeblitz33

Hmm, thankyou for correcting me. I have never bred banggai cardinals. Most fish that keep their larvae in their mouths are called pelagic spawners. However, since the banggai releases the fry as little tiny representations of himself, it is not a pelagic spawner.
You may have some problems with the male eating the fry, so you can remove the male a day ahead of time and remove the eggs manually.
Banggai Cardinals usually take refuge in the long spines of sea urchins. If you can rig up with some dowels and a lump of epoxy a version of the long spine sea urchin, they will feel safer and have a better chance of mating. Also, if you introduce that same rig to the fry, they will immediately take refuge in it as well and have increased survival rates. (less stress).
One thing about breeding is that you have to sometimes cull some of the young. Watch out for signs of missing eyes, poorly developed spines, missing fins, and other abnormalities.

bang guy

Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33
Hmm, thankyou for correcting me. I have never bred banggai cardinals.
My pleasure. I'm sure you could teach me a few things about other species.
Here's some pictures for inspiration: