Base Rock?? And Cycling??

aredmon

Ok. I am over 3 weeks into my cycle. My readings are. Ammonia 1.0 PH 8.2 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 0. My first question is about my ammonia. The ammonia has been at 1.0 for 3 weeks now. Shouldn't it have started to turn to nitrites yet? Is 3 weeks long or does ammonia usualy take the longest to go down?? My second question is I am very tight on money now but I got some advice to buy a little bit of live rock and get some base rock to put under it to save on some money. i know base rock is dead rock but where can I get some and is base rock regular rock or died off live rock?? Any help would be great!!! Thank you.

pontius

Do a search for "HI Rocks", that is good, cheap base rock and will turn into live rock over time if placed in a tank with live rock

aredmon

I don't plan on doing it but I have got to ask. I heard of someone using concrete as base rock. Wouldn't that be dangerous to the fish? I just thought it looked ugly! Plus does anyone have any ideas about the ammonia cycling thing? How long will this go on?

ppm411

Be patient with the cycle, it WILL happen. What size is your tank? You might want to try ghost feeding the tank or even putting in a cocktail shrimp from the grocery store for a few days. That should help speed things up a little.

hot883

Originally Posted by aredmon
I don't plan on doing it but I have got to ask. I heard of someone using concrete as base rock. Wouldn't that be dangerous to the fish? I just thought it looked ugly! Plus does anyone have any ideas about the ammonia cycling thing? How long will this go on?

Do a search on "DIY" rock. It explains and shows it all. Once you have got all the PH levels out of the diy rock, then you are good to go.

aredmon

Well I know it is not much but I purchaced 10lbs of live rock for my aquarium. I figured it would get me started and maybe I can find some base rock to go with it. I hope this helps my tank to start breaking down the ammonia after I have waited for 3 1/2 weeks now.
Oh well
If any one else has any ideas I am open for them!!

J

jdragunas

I agree with phantom-feeding your tank. Are you testing the water yourself, or are you having the LFS test it? If you're testing it, let me know what kind of test kit you're using. Also, how did you start your cycle? Shrimp? Food? LS?
Jenn

aredmon

Yes I am testing the water myself. I do not have a lfs anywere close. I have to drive an hour just to get to one. I am using the Saltwater master test kit by Dr. ? I can't remember the last name but I will let you know by 2-marrow. I got it at *****. My Ammonia was present in the water so I have had it since day one. What kind of food should I put in there?

aredmon

Also what does putting food the tank do for the cycle. And a little more info for you if it helps is I am reading
temp 79
Ammonia 1.0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0
PH 8.2 or 8.4 ( The colors are so close you can't hardly tell :notsure: )

J

jdragunas

You're probably using Red Sea... that's what ***** sells. That's what i have as well, and i haven't had a problem with it yet, but i've read that Red Sea test kits have been off in the past. It's strange that your ammonia has been 1.0 for the past 3 weeks with no spike in -ates or -ites yet.
This is what a cycle does for your tank: Ammonia is introduced to the tank (the whole point of phantom feeding/adding a dead shrimp/LR, etc). This ammonia (toxic) causes bacteria to grow that turns the ammonia into nitrites (also toxic). Then, bacteria grows that turns the nitrites into nitrates (much less toxic). The whole point of this whole mess is to establish a bio-system that will turn the two toxic wastes (ammonia and nitrites) into the less toxic nitrates, so that when you introduce fish, the system will be able to quickly turn their waste (poo and pee) from ammonia to nitrites to nitrates, making the tank inhabitable.
The reason i say it's weird that your -ites and -ates are still reading 0 after 3 weeks, is that the ammonia-eating bacteria should've formed already, and you should at least be showing nitrites.
When you say "My Ammonia was present in the water so I have had it since day one". does that mean the ammonia read at 1.0 with just the water? So you didn't add anything to the tank to kick the ammonia level up that high? If not, then your test kit is most likely wrong. I'd suggest getting "salifert" test kits, they're a little pricier, but much more reliable.
Jenn

aredmon

See this is the thing. I didn't buy enough water at walmart and you can hardly pull a penny out of my husbands butt so I ended up using some tap water to fill the rest and added that stuff to take the clorine and such out. I tested the tap and it has ammonia in it. ( I quit drinking tap water.lol) So that is why I don't know what to think about my test. I can see one test being poo but all 4 of them :notsure: I don't know it would just be my luck

J

jdragunas

lol, well i hope you don't get sick from drinking the tap water. lol. I'd say add flake food or a dead shrimp (from the grocery store) to your tank. If you do flake food, feed it for about a week. If you do a shrimp, leave it in there until it becomes a big nasty blob. That should spike your ammonia good-n-plenty. Do tests every few days, and see if your nitrites/nitrates spike. If they do, you're off on your cycle. If they don't, let us know, and we'll take it from there!
Jenn

J

jdragunas

Originally Posted by snailheave
test only twice a week.
after you're done cycling...

J

jdragunas

oops, my bad, i read "test only every two weeks" for some reason... twice a week is good!

1journeyman

If your tap water is testing positive for ammonia then there may be something wrong with the test kit. I can't imagine ammonia being high enough in drinking water to show up on a test kit.
You're going to have to talk to your husband. A saltwater aquarium is going to require a few bucks a week for proper maintenance. That includes good water, food, etc. (My fish eat and drink better than I do).
Base rock is a much discussed issue. What is your definition of live rock? If you are looking for bacteria then ANY surface in your aquarium will eventually become "live". That is not where the benefits of live rock vary. True "live" rock will come with a vast selection of animal and plant life. You will never get that by "spontaneous generation" on base rock. Coralline algae will grow on base rock, but the many worms, sponges, etc. that live rock features will never be seen on base rock.
Base rock also comes in many different types. True live rock is actually the skeletons of marine corals, and is therefore generally very porous. Too often base rock is mined from fossilized coral beds and is therefore very dense. Some base rock sold can leech harmful minerals into your tank.
That all being said, there is certainly reason to use good quality base rock for certain situations. Just don't expect it to perform like live rock.

aredmon

lol! Well I kind of like my husband so I might keep him
I am begining to wonder if it is my test kits that are bad. I checked all my readings ans sure enough they all came out the same except when I tested the nitrates the yellow was a little darker and looked to be as if they had raised to 5.0 or between 0 and 5.0. I have been forcing my husband to listen to all my fish talk so when I asked him to look at the test tube he agreed that it was darker. Is it possible for 2 of the 4 tests to be crap? :notsure: I think I am going to get different tests if I can find a fish store around here!!

J

jdragunas

See if you can get salifert brand test kits. They're the most reliable. It's possible they may have expired. You also have to keep them in a certain temp range, or else it could cause fluctuations to the chemicals in the test kits. Or you could just have a few bad tests.
Take a water sample to your LFS and have them test it. It's weird that you have ammonia and nitrates, but no nitrites... as nitrites are the middle step in this cycle...
Jenn