Basic Cleaner Clam Question

jay02483

i have a 29gal tank, with t5 lighting, bout 30-35lbs of live rock a tomato clown and a 6 line, and various corals. what do i need to know to own these basic clams, any specific tips? are they easy to take care of? i just noticed them off this site selling them for like 5 bucks i think, are they worth it? how many would be good for a 29gal?

hlcroghan

I believe they are very simple to care for. They are filter feeders and will dig into the sand and clean it. I think only one or two would be appropriate so they don't starve to death. I don't think that you will ever really see them though. So if that is a problem you may want to find a different animal to clean the sand like a fighting conch. They are awesome from what I have heard.

mantisman51

No, they are not worth it. They are all cold water clams and will shortly perish. There are several threads on this here. I, of course, didn't read them until after buying them. If you really want some, go to a local grocery store that keeps them in the water they are shipped in and slowly drip acclimate them to the temperature of the tank. They will live longer, though not long, than the ones you buy online. Just make sure to buy the ones that are tightly closed; they are still alive. I bought 23 of them for $3.00. Most died withing a few days. One of them just died a couple weeks ago, but held on for 3 months. YES, they are the same "cleaner clams".

hlcroghan

Originally Posted by mantisman51
http:///forum/post/2963828
No, they are not worth it. They are all cold water clams and will shortly perish. There are several threads on this here. I, of course, didn't read them until after buying them. If you really want some, go to a local grocery store that keeps them in the water they are shipped in and slowly drip acclimate them to the temperature of the tank. They will live longer, though not long, than the ones you buy online. Just make sure to buy the ones that are tightly closed; they are still alive. I bought 23 of them for $3.00. Most died withing a few days. One of them just died a couple weeks ago, but held on for 3 months. YES, they are the same "cleaner clams".
Gotcha.....good info. Thanks for the correction..I know a lot of people also use them to feed their puffers and eels.......Good stuff to know for future reference.

efrank

I have two that went under the sand the day i got them and I have not seen them in 2 weeks. If they die will they hurt the tank? i.e. should I just dig them up and get rid of them?

meowzer

Originally Posted by Efrank
http:///forum/post/2976251
I have two that went under the sand the day i got them and I have not seen them in 2 weeks. If they die will they hurt the tank? i.e. should I just dig them up and get rid of them?
They are doing what they are supposed to do....They bury themselves and live off of whatever is under the sand....I have been told that if they die, the shell will work its way out of the sand

Mine have not died so I do not know that for sure...but leave them in the sand...like I said...their job is to be buried....

tinderly

There are more threads on this site about cleaner clams. One that I have read is about a great success at just buying clams from the local fish market. Same clam, only cheaper.

9supratt4

I have a few in my tank and they have been in there for over 6 months. Sure a couple died but no biggie. I bought them at the supermarket. I bought an entire bag....as long as they are on ice they are ok and still alive. I took half of them and ate them...LOL
With the other half I put them in some tank water until the "spit". When they spit they will get rid of any stuff left inside them. Then you can put them right in.....no need to drip acclimate them or anything. If they die....go buy another bag for a couple bucks....but like I said....mine have been alive for 6 months or longer.
Also, when they do die, the undig themselves from under the sand and come to the surface where they then die. Then it is a nice trat for your CUC.

dazed2040

Originally Posted by 9supratt4
http:///forum/post/2986650
I have a few in my tank and they have been in there for over 6 months. Sure a couple died but no biggie. I bought them at the supermarket. I bought an entire bag....as long as they are on ice they are ok and still alive. I took half of them and ate them...LOL
With the other half I put them in some tank water until the "spit". When they spit they will get rid of any stuff left inside them. Then you can put them right in.....no need to drip acclimate them or anything. If they die....go buy another bag for a couple bucks....but like I said....mine have been alive for 6 months or longer.
Also, when they do die, the undig themselves from under the sand and come to the surface where they then die. Then it is a nice trat for your CUC.
i did the same thing a few months ago...I threw about 6 or so in, they move around the sand bed and bury themselves its kinda cool. make sure you get the species from the east coast like little necks they run about .49 cent at the grocery store here in florida.