Battery operated/plug in LED strips at HI store

myfishtails25

Ok I have never experienced any LED lights but am wondering what is the difference in the battery operated 5 LED strips that you can get at a home improvement store for 30 bucks opposed to a high tech 500 buck light made "just for reef tanks". The ones at the HI store come in all lengths and I know one would fit in my hood and it says each is 20 watts. Would this work or do you need a certain type for a tank. These things are very bright and some with more power are plug in and look very nice. If someone knows please inform me because that is a huge difference in price. Thanks

myfishtails25

Sorry all I know 5 LED's is not much but the main thing I want to know are LED's different or do you just need enough of them to achieve the correct results for what you want to keep. I could fit 2-5 LED strip lights in my AP 24 hood and thats 10 total. I read that an 18" LED unit for reefs has 18 LED's. Is there a difference?

meowzer

YES, there are different types of LEDS......IDK a lot about them, BUT most of us are using the Cree xpe LEDS
Much different then the ones you can buy in a store....also most of the ones you buy in a store are 1watt or less

2quills

Yes there is a huge difference in terms of size, the amount of power and light that they put out. The leds used for reef tanks are also chosen to target more specific areas of the light spectrum to help benefit coral growth. The ones you're talking about aren't capable of keeping corals. But they work fine if all you want is a fish tank light.