Beginner corals?

being the beginner that i am i am lookin for some corals that dont need strong lighting and pristine (sp?) water conditions...i have a100 gallon oceanic tank with no fish in it at the moment but will add reef safe fish...what is a good starting coral...(leathers and zoos) am i correct...what about brains??

beth

Administrator
Staff member
What type lighting do you have, and what are your water readings? Just about all corals need a certain min lighting, and decent water quality.

jambi0n

yeah, shrooms are really good... I started out with the frogspawn and the hammer coral... and they are really healthy, just make sure your lighting is really good and keep your water parimeters steady and stable, and you'll do just fine... pretty soon your gonna want to get into the hard corals... cuz that's where you would be able to make money by fraggin them and selling them or trading them.

discusking

I would recomend zoos, xenia, anthia, brain corals( they just keep growing), leathers, shrooms, and euphyillia corals, If your tank water has somewhat high nitrates an elegance coral would prob do awesome, they love dirty tanks!! They usually are considered hard to keep because people super skim their which removes all nutrients, good for sps bad for elegance. My elegance ive had it for about a year and 1/2 and it thrived in my macro alage tank because of the high nitrates and less than perfect water quality. The best way to figure out what animals to keep, even more advanced ones, it to think about where in nature they live and do your best to recreate that environment in the tank. No matter what may be a beginer species if it is taken out if its "zone of comfort" then it will not thrive or do well. :happyfish :happyfish

fishieness

oo... and i see you have 2 20K white lights? what type of lighting though? Normal-output florecent? high-output? very-high-output? power-compact? metal halide? t5?

carshark

Originally Posted by noaquariumyet
think they are only 40 watts...does that help?? :notsure:

Normal output then??

fishieness

yup..... normal output o my knowlege judging by the wattage.
not enough to have corals, esspecialy over a 100 gallon tank. upgrade your lighting to at least PC