Beginner's Equipment Guidebook

campbellson22

I am doing my homework and looking to start a SW tank in a few months after I move. I have been looking up several articles such as this one and others and find that pictures are gone or diagrams missing. Is there any way to access those?
Thanks for all the information I feel like I should send you $20 for all the help!

G

grneyes3x

Tony, Thank you for our time that you put into the info you wrote. I wished I had read that when I started. Still real new to this and that was great. I could even understand it, ha ha I would love it if you got back in touch with me I have a deltec skimmer and nobody seems like they have heard of them. I noticed that you mentioned them. Thanks for all the great info

hatessushi

Very nice work tony detroit. Here is just a bit of constructive critisizm but I can tell you not much since you did a great job.
Under WATERFLOW - you state not to use RIO. I highly disagree. In the past they had problems but for the last year the RIO pumps have performed admirably and are very quiet.
Also everyone raves about maxijet but I have had 3 maxijet 900's just quit running after about a month or 2. All under warranty and were replaced quickly. I am hoping these ones last. I don't care for the plastic backing that falls off easily. The airline won't stay on and they don't suction on well or if you try to slide them the rubber suctions come out. I do like how quiet they are though. I use them for mixing water changes.
Under FILTRATION - Running carbon 24/7 I don't believe is a good idea.
I agree with you about the sulfur denitrifier. They are the best thing to happen to marine aquariums in a while.
If you want to update your articles can't you just edit them so we don't have to look for an updated post?
Thanks tony detroit for this comprehensive compilation

hatessushi

Originally Posted by tony detroit
Finding the Right Tank

Finding the right tank can be quite the task. To properly set up a 100gal reef or larger you should expect to spend $5000. You should also expect to spend another 100 a month in related costs whether it be electricity, maintenance, addition, etc.
Acrylic-without a doubt the strongest tanks out there. I know a fella whose acrylic tank fell when the table it was on collapsed and the tank did not break. Also without a doubt, the easiest to scratch. Without careful cleaning you can scratch an acrylic tank up no problem. This is why I don't have one. I love them, but I scratched up my 300gal and I was being careful. After that I swore to never get another acrylic tank.
Glass-some will say is not as clear as acrylic, I myself have never noticed a diference between a well built glass tank. Starphire glass is a higher grade glass that is clearer than a normal glass tank. These are the best for aquariums if you have the money to buy one. Beware of tanks with bad silicone seals. I recommend you stick with a reputable manufacturer such as All glass, perfecto, or Oceanic. Be weary of buying older used Oceanic tanks, they put some out with faulty silicone on them, I learned that lesson the hard way unfortunately.
Although is can agree that the cost of setting up a 100 gallon reef can be $5000 I think that is a matter of opinion. I purchased a 90 gallon (not much difference) acrylic tank new and everything else including LR/LS, UV Sterilizer, Phosphate reactor (cheap anyways) Midwest DeNitrifier, all of the maintenance equipment, extra pumps, computer controller w/probes. That was less the $4000 over the last 8 months and I must say $100 a month is way to steep. I could have spent $5K but have more then I need. A person starting this hobby might read this and say no way am I doing that. I think 5K is to high. I think $100 a month is to high unless you are always adding stock to your tank.
I thinks it's a matter of opinion on the type of tank whether acrylic or glass. Yes, you can scratch an acrylic easy. I am careful and haven't scratched mine I will will never buy a glass one because they can break easily. You will find there are a lot of people that swear by acrylic tanks.
Acrylic is optically clearer than glass unless the acrylic is scratched up. I can tell the difference, mine is not scratched, it's clearer.
I can also say that having a glass tank is dangerous because they can break easily. How many stories have we heard about broken tanks and 99.99% or 100% of them were glass tanks.

hatessushi

Oops sorry, didn't realize this was such and old post. Just realized it when I was reading in the Lighting section and T-5's were not mentioned, DOH!
Oh I see what happened Campbellson22 brought this thread to the top. oh well

craigory44

wow what a gold mine for information, many questions answered through this write up, thanks for all the time put into this, oh the diagrams that squidd posted, i cant see them??? i know they are probibly deleted from the server he used to host them but is there a way that they could be re posted?

Strainer- A cover for drains/inlets somewhat like a screen. These prevent things from getting into your pump, drains, etc. Make sure you use them. Don't run open inlets. Same goes for powerheads with open inlets. Put something on them or you'll regret it later.
Tony, Can you explain this. Im little confused. Thanks!

scottnlisa

Originally Posted by mooseythemoron
http:///forum/post/3294733
Tony, Can you explain this. Im little confused. Thanks!
I think what he means is like on my canister filter I have a little plastic strainer piece that fits over the open part of the pipe so no fish go into my canister filter line.

scsinet

Just an FYI... The OP has not been online since October, I doubt we'll be hearing from him anytime soon.
A strainer...