BEST aquarium in the US!

dburr

That's the other one, Monerary Bay, that looks great to. To grow the kelp, the ocean is pumped right into the tanks.

laredo300c

live in laredo tx...seaworld san antonio..i go 5 time a year just to stare at their awesome displays.......now the texas state aquarium in corpus christi is the biggest joke i've ever seen.........i am planning a trip to orlando this summer and i've noticed on the map next to miami....it says seaquarium as an attraction.....anybody been there

fisherson

See i want to stand at that tank. it looks insane.
my girlfriend wants to go to one in chatanooga.(however you say it)
I had a good time at the boston aquarium but i really can't see it being in the list of best... if it was it was because of the 4 story cylinder tank...Which is incredible. and prices there are the same a the georgia one..
hmm the coney island one is good?
The girlfriend loves NYC..but we never been to the aquarium.

jester805

I was just at Shedd Aquarium this past Sunday. I guess they TOTALLY redid it about a year ago. It is AWESOME now! They definitely have a lot to see!

jacklax

Some advice...set an appointment in advance for the Atl aquarium. The crowds are still crazy! Supposedly picking a weekday...first thing in the morning is your best bet. I haven't been yet (finishing my basement...baby due next week), but most of my co-workers have, and they loved it!

S

sarah fair

Ive been to the ATL aquarium (i live in ga) its amazing! They have whales..balooga whales(sp?) like 3 or 4 of them! but i went the weekend it was opened...it was so crowded you couldnt really get to look at stuff. they have a section where you can touch all kinds of stuff like star fish, horse shoe crabs, sand dollars, so much stuff...they also have a playground in there for kids (i tried to go on it but couldnt find the entrance lol) but they have like 5 diff sections of diff kinds of water life...i really liked it! They have other things than fish like otters! Its real cool and I would check it out

crox

Originally Posted by fisherson
hmm the coney island one is good?
The girlfriend loves NYC..but we never been to the aquarium.

You should definately make a trip.

teen

the coney island one is really nice, better in the summer becaus etheres lots of outdoor stuff. they also have alot of reef tanks.

matty0h_52

Originally Posted by kleinn
The best ones I've been to are the Monterey Bay Aquarium in CA (the BEST), followed by Scripps in La Jolla, CA, followed by Shedd in Chicago, followed by Henry Doorly Zoo's aquarium in Omaha Nebraska (the zoo is one of the best in the world with lots of nice bio-tope aquariums spread through out, but their aquarium's rare animal collection and tidal zone displays are also pretty good). I haven't been to Georgia's, but we're planning a grad school visit down there next spring so I'd love to check it out. I'm sure there are lots of other awesome aquariums, but these are my personal favorites!
Your crazy the Monterey bay aquarium is not that THAT good. I mean its awsome expecially the jelly fish room but its definetly going to get better cause there adding a Reef tank thats almost 4000-gallons. It measures 12' X 8' x 5.5' tall.

fisherson

Not sure how good it is but i just found out about the Mystic aquarium in CT. I didn't even know it exsisted....
I'm really thinking the Georgia one still...the trip won't be till about may anyway and now i gotta figure out what else is down there for us to do.
We went to texas last year and went to an aquarium in Dallas it was pretty good but i've been to 2 and boston is the best one so far.
The mystic one will be a day trip some time in the next month now that i know it's there....also gotta plan the coney island one...

S

sarah fair

Well there isnt to to much to do down here in Ga..There is Stone Mountain (I live not even 5 mins from there) and you can climb the biggest rock in the world..its a little bit of a hike but kids can do it...its easy there is Six Flags (a bunch of roller coasters) The world of Coke..Underground Atlanta..Chatahochee (sp?) National Forest (camping..very amazing go many times a year)..umm what else oh well there is the Mall of Georgia (I think its one of the 5 biggest malls or something?) and theres some other small stuff..but if you come here you HAVE to eat at Two Urban Licks (probly need to make reservations a couple days ahead though..) but thats only if you want to come to Georgia...

jacklax

Good trout fishing in the Hooch...and Six Flags isn't very far either. Then of course there is always a Braves game while you're in town...always something to do.

lovethesea

Originally Posted by NM reef
In my personal opinion....Steve Weast's home up there in Oregon!!!!

you got that right!!
But in case Steve doesn't allow vacationers, by step bro said the Georgia Aquarium is pretty darn cool. He has been to Shedds and loved that also. He works for Home Depot
HQ and got an up close and personal tour right before it opened.
He heard hotels in that general area are sold out through spring, so look in the outskirts and use the MARTA. Great transportation in Atlanta.

weberian

I live near Boston. The Boston one is nice, but it only has ONE live coral tank.
The show on PBS about public aquariums showed Waikiki to have the best live corals - they ship live corals to most of the other public aquariums. But overall it's not a large aquarium. waquarium.org is the Waikiki site.

jr2857

Originally Posted by Unknown
I Love It
AND YES that is a WHALE SHARK, thats right you read it right WHALE SHARK
Got any idea what tank size that is?

eaglephot

Info on Shedd...
"Shark alert at Chicago's Shedd Aquarium! Get ready for a face-to-face encounter with dozens of sharks at Shedd's newest exhibit, Wild Reef - Sharks at Shedd. Wild Reef has one of the most diverse displays of sharks in North America, shown with other large predators in a 400,000-gallon habitat. Floor-to-ceiling exhibit windows give guests a divers'-eye view of a Philippine coral reef, teeming with live corals and more than 500 species of reef fishes of all shapes, colors and sizes. The exhibit's 26 interconnected habitats - totaling more than 750,000 gallons of water - are housed in a new $47 million underground wing."
Truly amazing.