Best fish for small aquarium?

imshellyc

I have a 10 gallon aquarium with live rock and 5 hermit crabs. I want to add a fish. What would be a good fish to add? Would a damsel be good? Or a chromis? A clown?

bang guy

The only Clownfish suitable IMO is a Percula.
For small tanks you want a docile fish. Something that sits all day like a Clown Goby, Neon Goby, or Barnacle Blenny.

imshellyc

I forgot to add this is my first salt water aquarium (I've had fresh water ones for years) so I need something that is easy for beginners.
Would the fish mentioned by easy to keep?

subielover

Yup, just be sure to keep up with water changes. How long has the tank been setup for? What does your clean up crew consist of? If only hermits I would recommend you getting a variety of snails to complement them.

teresaq

I vote clown goby and neon gobies. I just got a pair and they are pretty cool for a small fish. One always comes to the front of my tank when I am looking in.
T

imshellyc

The hermits are the only clean up crew I have. I wasn't sure what else to get.
The aquarium has been set up for a few months. I put a couple of damsels in after the life rock had been in for a month, but I think the blue damsel killed the other one. Then after a month the blue one developed popeye and died. It has been a month since the fish died and all the water levels seem fine, so I was going to try again.

imshellyc

Why do you say no damsels? I know they are aggressive, but I thought they were supposed to be hardy. I am only planning to do one fish.

fyi, if you do a clown goby be aware some people struggle to get them to eat and have had them starve to death. I have a green clown goby and he eats flake food but just a heads up if you do go the clown goby route

rotarymagic

shrimp+goby pair all the way.
I'm partial to yashia/whiteray gobies and candy stripe pistol shrimps.
I also love my yellow assessor.. its not a cheap cheap fish though.

T

tiff*

def not damsels. They are horrid little creatures. I vote a clown or a blenny

bn251

i say a blenny... or if you want to get something cool which i think the flame prawn goby is very interesting! i have like 3 in my 50g... dont really have a nano... :/

zshain012

I say a percula clown of some sort and a cleaner shrimp. And if you get a clown, you don't need an anemone. Most, if not all, anemones get too big for your 10 gallon. You can get a frogspawn for your clown to host in though.

dive girl

I love my clown gobies! They really are clowns too! My green clown goby thinks he's a clownfish and hosts in my colt coral. He thinks he's hiding but he's green the coral is brown.

zshain012

Originally Posted by Dive Girl
http:///forum/post/2853166
I love my clown gobies! They really are clowns too! My green clown goby thinks he's a clownfish and hosts in my colt coral. He thinks he's hiding but he's green the coral is brown.

haha he's color blind like me
. good pic