Best Hang On Skimmer?

I've been told my skimmer is not sufficient for my tank now. What hang on type skimmer would be best for my 72G and not cost $500. Please let me know! Ideally I'd like to have the pump outside the tank, minimizing the amount of the skimmer setup inside the tank.

nycbob

check out the hob octopus skimmers. very good quality and price. i got the bh 1000 last week, and what a difference. it is extremely quiet, and started skimming with hours.

stanlalee

1. Deltec MCE600 $550

2.Octopus HB-800S $240

3. Warner Marine HX2 $300

there are a few more obscure HOBs just as good and multi use (sump or hang on use) skimmers but I'd stick with the three above if you are really looking for the "best". Octopus has some real good ones for significantly less money if those are too steep.
octopus 300F $200

BH-2000 $170

HB-300 $160

good traditional multi mount
turboflotors $200-250
multi 1000

blue 1000

fishfreak1242

+1 for the Octopus Skimmer. I hear there great skimmers. I just ordered my first one a few days ago!!! I am so excited!

meowzer

Some of them look confusing.....I have been using a Seaclone, and after the 1st of the year may be looking for a different one....what do you recommend for a 225g fowlr (That's not hard to use)

cveverly

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/2834298
Some of them look confusing.....I have been using a Seaclone, and after the 1st of the year may be looking for a different one....what do you recommend for a 225g fowlr (That's not hard to use)
For a tank that size you really need a sump and use a sump based skimmer. If that is not an option consider the Octopus 800S or the Deltec MCE600. There is a new skimmer coming to market by ATB. It is going to be a conical HOB skimmer. I suspect it will be pricy but it should be a great skimmer.

cveverly

Originally Posted by LKGRenegade22
http:///forum/post/2833875
I've been told my skimmer is not sufficient for my tank now. What hang on type skimmer would be best for my 72G and not cost $500. Please let me know! Ideally I'd like to have the pump outside the tank, minimizing the amount of the skimmer setup inside the tank.
Deltec would be my top choice but a little out of your budget. After that would be between the WM H2, Octopus 300F, Octopus 2000 or the Octopus 800S. All of these have internal pumps so nothing in the tank but the intake tube and discharge tube. The Octopus brand uses a surface skimmer on their intake.
I have owned the Deltec MCE600 and currently own the Octopus 100F and the 800S. I have also seen the 300F in action and it works well. The 300F has the least desirable pumps but they are the cheapest to replace if needed.

I really like the design/look of the Warner Marine HX2 for 300. If the Deltec MCE600 really worth the xtra $220? I've overstocked my tank (as Stanlalee knows) and I would like to get the best skimmer I can. If I really need the $500 one and the extra cost is justified I will get it. I also need to know where to get them from?

cveverly

I sold my Deltec because the parts are proprietary and expensive. There is only one place in the US to get them. w w w dot theaquariumsolution dot com/available_usa
Having the Deltec and the Octopus 800S I can say “for the money” the Octopus is the better skimmer. Head to head test I can not tell you if one is better than the other. Both performed very well. However, I had to make some modifications to the 800S and the Deltec600 worked right out of the box.
I have seen the older H2 and it worked well. I assume the new one is even better with the bubble plate. I would have a hard time picking between the new H2 and the 800S. I originally wanted the WM but could not wait for the new model. So I bought the Octo 800 when it came out.

stanlalee

the deltec is definately a higher capacity skimmer than the warner marine (can handle a higher load as can the octopus 800S). both the octopus and the deltec have better pumps than the Warner marine but I too like the packaging of the warner marine HX2 and they are a good company. the octopus by far is the best value. the sicce 2500 pump it uses by itself cost half of what the 800S cost. deltec's are always expensive for what they are (typical of european imports) and the warner is probably priced right where it should be. you can get anything octopus or warner marine at aquacave dot com and deltec is also available at marine depot dot com.

Thanks guys. I think I will go with the Octpus 800S then. Does anybody have pictures of itin use, hanging on a tank? It looks complex to me...
Also, what modifications are you guys saying needs to be done to it right out of the box?

stanlalee

http:///forum/post/2835054
Thanks guys. I think I will go with the Octpus 800S then. Does anybody have pictures of itin use, hanging on a tank? It looks complex to me...
Also, what modifications are you guys saying needs to be done to it right out of the box?
I wouldn't worry about mods right out the box. let it break in and see if there's anything that needs adressing first.

cveverly

http:///forum/post/2835054

It is not complicated to setup. The hardest part is getting the siphon started the first time. Short version: Connect air hose from the pump to the valve on top of the input tube. Fill skimmer with saltwater. Install collection cup and set at highest setting. Plug in skimmer, as soon as it starts pulling water from your tank shut the valve on top of the input tube. Remove air line from shutoff valve. You will now hear a loud sucking sound. Install the included muffler to the air line. You are now done. (well sort of)

When the skimmer is new it will skim VERY wet. This is normal of all skimmers until the surface contaminates are removed. You will need to empty the cup a lot for the first few hours so have some saltwater ready.
You should leave the cup as high as you can for the first few weeks. The skimmer will go through a break in period before it settles down and becomes stable. At that time you can lower the cup a little at a time to get the desired skim consistency.
You will see a little seepage around the seal of the cup for a few days. This will stop as soon as the skimmer body starts to slime up a little.
Now for the mods: I got kinda serious about this part and not for the non do it yourselfer. I drilled two holes between the reaction chamber and the first (input) chamber. This allows the skimmer to act as a recirculating skimmer. The flow through the skimmer will be less giving more time to remove the proteins. Another benefit is total elimination of micro bubbles. Then I mesh moded the pump. This causes the skimmer to really come alive. The bubbles are extremely fine and many of them.
Here is a picture of the two holes.

Here is the collection cup about the second or third day on the tank.

Both of these pictures are before mesh moding the pump. The foam is now more dense.
When I get time I will get some pictures of the skimmer with the moded impeller. It generates nasty dark green goo that stinks really bad.

cveverly

Originally Posted by Stanlalee
http:///forum/post/2835102
I wouldn't worry about mods right out the box. let it break in and see if there's anything that needs adressing first.
I completely agree
with this. Modifying the skimmer is NOT necessary. Only do this if you are willing to chance damaging the skimmer.
The rewards were worth the risk to me but I have the tools to do the job.

Great info here. Thanks again. Stanlalee, your pics were removed up above!
I can just about fix anything, so drilling holes, modding the propeller and all will be easy.
The skimmate my coral life is putting out now is fairly thick, dark brown with a greenish tint and smells HORRIBLE! Does that mean it is working effectively?
I want to purchase a better skimmer without the pump inside the tank, it's an eyesore!

cveverly

I am not sure what skimmer you have but this skimmer is light years ahead of the Coralife Supper skimmers. Once they break in very little maintenance. Just empty and clean the cup every few days.
You skimmer is working but it may not have the capacity for your tank.
The great thing about the Octo skimmers is the pumps are not in the tank.
One last point, there will be an extra yellow impeller and 4" square of mesh with your 800S skimmer. That is the one you want to mod. Do not mod with the needle wheel impeller that comes in the pump.

stanlalee

http:///forum/post/2835127
Great info here. Thanks again. Stanlalee, your pics were removed up above!
I can just about fix anything, so drilling holes, modding the propeller and all will be easy.
The skimmate my coral life is putting out now is fairly thick, dark brown with a greenish tint and smells HORRIBLE! Does that mean it is working effectively?
I want to purchase a better skimmer without the pump inside the tank, it's an eyesore!
the coralife works moderately well and sounds like yours is working fine. its just not designed for a tank as big as yours and is very finicky and quirky. I used the coralife 125 for a good while but I got tired of the quirks so now its just collecting dust. I'm much happier with my octopus.

Well I am going to go ahead and order the Octopus now then. I will set it up and bother you guys again if I have any questions.

Honestly though I haven't had much trouble with the Coralife since I set it up. Ok nevermind retract that statement...LOL
When I 1st set it up the air line and power line of the pump was hitting the return box and I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to get it all positioned in the tank. While figuring that out I managed to crack the plastic flow adjustment valve that connects to the pump and I had to fix that. Then I had to cut the return line a little shorter and add some foam in the return box to keep the micro bubbles from taking over my tank. It also leaked water out of the air valve on the return side all over my stand that I had to clean up. It was also leaking at the collection cup but that was because the o-ring was missing. It also took me quite a few adjustments to get the bubble right.
But after all that it appears to be doing it's job.

cveverly

http:///forum/post/2835185
Well I am going to go ahead and order the Octopus now then. I will set it up and bother you guys again if I have any questions.
Make sure you have the room for this skimmer. It is kind of big at 20"H x 13"L x 4"W. The picture above has the intake and return switched. When the skimmer is on the back of the tank the intake is on the right when you are looking at your tank.

Originally Posted by cveverly
http:///forum/post/2835212
Make sure you have the room for this skimmer. It is kind of big at 20"H x 13"L x 4"W. The picture above has the intake and return switched. When the skimmer is on the back of the tank the intake is on the right when you are looking at your tank.
I think I will be fine. I will measure when I get home in the morning before I order. The coralife I have is probably 4" thick and I still have a good inch to spare between the tank and the wall. The length or height shouldn't be a problem. I'm thinking it will hang on the back of my 72G with no problems. I know the background I bought was 19.5" just to cover the actual glass part, not including the plastic casing.
Now which picture has the intake and return switched?