best PROTEIN SKIMMER

masta man

Hey, I have had my tank for more than a year and I haven't ever had a protein skimmer. I have heard allot abouth them and have decided on getting one. I just wanted to know which ones are the best.

chilwil84

have a etts and aqua c and will only buy aqua c in the future. the etts is a good skimmer but not near as good as my aqua c

krissytool

I'm extremelly happy with my Aqua Medic Turboflotor 750, easy to access, easy to clean, looks clean and attractive
and operates silently (of course a part from the venturi).
I have heard plenty of good things about the Octopus brand but never used one myself.

indyws6

CHILWIL84 - Greetings...
I have an ETSS Reef Devil Deluxe - why would you pick the Aqua C over an ETSS for future purchases? Also, what size tank and which particular models? Just curious to hear your opinion since you have both to compare.
Thanks!

gatorwpb

If you have the room, the octopus skimmers seem to be great performers for the price. They also can be modified in several different ways which will make it one of the best skimmers around. Check out octopus skimmers dot com.

bkvreef

Originally Posted by GatorWPB
If you have the room, the octopus skimmers seem to be great performers for the price. They also can be modified in several different ways which will make it one of the best skimmers around. Check out octopus skimmers dot com.
I have been very pleased with my octopus skimmer nw 200!! I haven't had it for long but it is very easy to set up and easy to clean. The price for a large quality skimmer was very reasonable!

I run a ev-240 with a 1 inch injector instead of the 3/4 inch. I love the skimmer, very quite operation and it strips my system clean. Downside to this skimmer is it's an energy hog (requires large pump). If you get an ev-180 spend the extra 5 or 10$ and get the John Quest fitting. I inject ozone through mine or you can have your calcium reactor return line use this fitting to blow off unused co2.

hurt

Originally Posted by clopez21
Deltec, H&S, Bubble King are some of the top of the line skimmers.
Clopez knows his skimmers and is absolutely right. The above mentioned skimmers are by far the "BEST". Bubble Master is another top of the line skimmer. Of course you will pay big $$$ for these skimmers, but these 4 brands are on another level compared to the other mentioned skimmers in this thread. Apples to oranges IMO.

jtwilson

If money is an issue then i would go with a coralife superskimmer..........awesome. skimms alot of junk out of my 125 and very reasonably priced.

chilwil84

CHILWIL84 - Greetings...
I have an ETSS Reef Devil Deluxe - why would you pick the Aqua C over an ETSS for future purchases? Also, what size tank and which particular models? Just curious to hear your opinion since you have both to compare.
i have the remora pro with the mag3 (hanging on my sump)on my 90 reef and the reef devil with mag 5 on my 75 fowlr the devil has a higher level pump and a much higher bioload and removes half as much as my aqua c running both fairly dry for skimate and my reef never reads any nitrates or phosphates with my skimmer than fuge cleaning out the water.

joncat24

Just go ahead and get ya an octopus nw 200...it will out perform all of the others listed except the deltecs bubblemasters and h&s skimmers.
It costs less than a coralife ss220 and will absolutley punish it....I have had both and I am here to tell ya for sure.
Also the mrc's would be my second choice, they are awesome performers, way better than etss IMO , but they are noisy and require alot of power to run them effectivlely.
Octopus is awesome

chilwil84

skimmers like deltec outperperform many because they are recirculastors running 2 pumps on a single skimmer