best PROTEIN SKIMMER

srfisher17

I have a few Aqua-C; both in sump and HOT. Best I've ever had and great tech support. I know there's a lot of great stuff out there; and forums like this help the best products rise to the top. Also; I like to check out the mfg web site before making a major purchase; I'm a big user of tech support.Jebo skimmers; common on the bidding place, don't have a site-that speaks volumns!

chilwil84

aqua c def has great customer support talked to them twice (same guy i think) and couldnt have been happier

al mc

IMHO...MRC. I have used ASMs, Coralife and Remoras........But my MRC is by far the best.

indyws6

Greetings
OK - some (possibly) stupid questions. I apologize if it looks like I am hijacking the thread. I think others may have similar questions and the answers from those with a lot of experience are certainly valuable when it comes to investing in hardware.
I have an ETSS Reef Devil Deluxe on a 6-month old tank. I am happy with the skimming performance and it seems to work well, although I have nothing to compare it to. The quality of manufacture is obvious and the tech support people have been great (editorial: what a concept - friendly and knowledgeable people...). Unfortunately, this morning I had my third incident of a run-away skimmer that dumped nearly 2 gallons of water on to my hardwood and carpet. I've done a little research and this skimmer does not easily lend itself to an automatic shut-off waste collector, so here are the questions:
1) Which of the recommended skimmers can be plumbed outside of the sump? (I am already plumbed this way and would like to minimize changes if I buy a different skimmer)
2) Which of the recommended skimmers can be used with an automatic shut-off waste collector? Do you have recommendations on this, too?
3) Based on experience (not manufacturer's recommendations) what brand and model would you use for a 90 gallon reef that will be stocked a little on the heavy side? I would rather pay more for a "too large" skimmer than be disappointed...
4) Any other advice or suggestions?
I am certain that I could design a solution (overflow back into the sump, float switch to shut-off the skimmer pump, etc.), but would like to avoid the situation entirely.
Thanks in advance...
Mark

fishieness

Originally Posted by chilwil84
skimmers like deltec outperperform many because they are recirculastors running 2 pumps on a single skimmer
there are a lot of deltecs that are not recirulating skimmers. and that is only because of the size of the skimmer. just about all skimmers that size are either going to use a super huge pump like the MRCs or have a recirc. mod. even the larger octopuses do.

chilwil84

most of the deltecs i saw running were gravity fed plus a pump that i thought was used for recirculating my bad