best shrimp

What is the best shrimp for these conditions?
best to make it through shipping stress
wont eat fish that sleep close to the bottom
i would like a coral banded but i ordered one before but it died within 24 hrs of shipping

what is the hardiest species is the question that i'm asking i guess

bang guy

L. Wurdemanni IMO. L. Amboinensis is almost as hardy but is typically much more outgoing & friendly.

scottallert

coral banded shrimp are very hardy i have 2 in my tank. most shrimp are hardy. So pretty much wich ever one looks the best to you.

fish4rudy

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away I had a coral banded shrimp. We are talking 20 years ago when this was a far more complicated hobby then today. I lost everything for one reason or another, including the tank (divorce).Everything that is but the coral banded shrimp. I haven’t had one since, but I do have a cleaner shrimp, and I just picked up three peppermint shrimp, (Lysmata wurdemanni) and an emerald crab, (Mithrax Sculptus). I think most of these shrimp, crabs are hardy.

socal57che

Something else to keep in mind is that CBS can be aggressive and could impact future specimens more than a cleaner or peppermint.
How did you acclimate your CBS? I'm guessing PH or SG/salinity shock killed it.

coraljunkie

Originally Posted by socal57che
http:///forum/post/2849471
Something else to keep in mind is that CBS can be aggressive and could impact future specimens more than a cleaner or peppermint.
How did you acclimate your CBS? I'm guessing PH or SG/salinity shock killed it.
I think your right on track socal. Inverts are very subsceptable to ph or salinity shock. They should be slowly drip acclimated over three hours.

socal57che

Originally Posted by CoralJunkie
http:///forum/post/2849494
I think your right on track socal. Inverts are very subsceptable to ph or salinity shock. They should be slowly drip acclimated over three hours.

I am a firm believer in dripping every specimen regardless of what it is. Never have to wonder "should I have dripped it?"
I drip into the tank, so I get temp and chemisty acclimation at the same time. Place the bag into the tank and clamp it to the side. Start a gravity IV drip into the bag from above the tank. Occasionally remove some water from the bag and discard. This way the specimen doesn't get cold while drip acclimating.

notsonoob

Originally Posted by Mr_X
http:///forum/post/2848938
i like skunk cleaners best (L. Amboinensis).
I only lost a few peppermints back in my noob-days, but I still think that they were taken out by my Pseudochromis paccagnellae I had in the tank at the time.
Otherwise they are fairly hearty. I would stay away from peppermints if you have or are thinking of a torch coral. I bought one, but watched the little rottweilers go into attack mode in about 30 seconds upon smelling it.

gmann1139

Cleaners are nice and extremely active, but not extremely hardy.
Blood Shrimp are extremely attractive, but not as active. That's been my experience.
Oh, and all of these shrimp can become lunch for bigger fish. Make sure your stocklist is okay with shrimp.

I added 2 skunk cleaners myself early yesterday. I thought they were a bit pricey at $43 each, but they are HUGE. They were hanging out together today and were fun to watch. I have though about adding a few Peppermint Shrimp too for aptasia removal purposes, just haven't bought them yet.

mr_x

holy cow! you paid about double. how much are peppermints? 20 bucks? i'll send you some of mine for half that!

alh

Otherwise they are fairly hearty. I would stay away from peppermints if you have or are thinking of a torch coral. I bought one, but watched the little rottweilers go into attack mode in about 30 seconds upon smelling it.
Do they eat other corals? I have a favia, mushrooms and polyps sitting in my tank in plastic bags, acclimating, as I'm typing this.

Originally Posted by Mr_X
http:///forum/post/2851439
holy cow! you paid about double. how much are peppermints? 20 bucks? i'll send you some of mine for half that!
I found a few stores that had peppermints for $10 each. I didn't buy any though. The place I ended up buying the cleaners from was my last stop and was 1 of only 2 stores that had any and I got their last 2. I think they were $25 a piece at the other store I saw them at but I wasn't going to ride the hour back to that store to save $30 or so. Funny thing is since I have put them in my tank they found a nice piece of fiji rock to hangout on and they haven't done much other than just sit there and clean the rock...LOL
Originally Posted by scottallert

http:///forum/post/2851784
wo i paid 10 bucks for mine.
Thanks for telling me.

mr_x

yes. with exception of the coral banded shrimp( and that's debatable. i guess some cb's are more aggressive than others), you can have multiple shrimp together.