Best Test Kits Out There

matt b

The BEST IMO are salifert. They are not cheap but are really good. I use and always have used API for everything and never had a problem.

earlybird

Honestly, I purchased the gamut of salifert kits and they are very, very close to sea chem and tetra sw kits. Only if I was planning a large or having very expensive SPS would I ever purchase salifert kits again, even then I probably wouldn't.

rs1831

I've actually heard from a few lfs that salifert has gone out of business. I'm now using Elos and I like them so far.

rs1831

I've been told by a few lfs that Salifert has gone out of business so I tried Elos and I like them so far.

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by rs1831
http:///forum/post/2615386
I've actually heard from a few lfs that salifert has gone out of business. I'm now using Elos and I like them so far.
Oh man i have not heard that yet. If thats true i'm gonna have to find good test kits

nietzsche

Elos is pretty good. ive used them for calcium and mostly for magnesium
i use API mainly for Alk and Calcium

prime311

Anyone use Sera test kits? Thats what my LFS carries I can't find out much about them. I tried using API kits for my basic tests Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite and they were always giving me inaccurate 0 readings when there were small amounts of those chemicals in my water.

mudplayerx

Salifert are the best test kits.
On another note I have recently switched to electronic probes that give instantaneous readings with almost no error. Other than funding for these probes, I don't know why I didn't switch to these earlier, they are a blessing.

kirkland

Originally Posted by mudplayerx
http:///forum/post/2619476
Salifert are the best test kits.
On another note I have recently switched to electronic probes that give instantaneous readings with almost no error. Other than funding for these probes, I don't know why I didn't switch to these earlier, they are a blessing.
these are on my wish list to eventually get. considering the cost of test kits that you have to repurchase versus $75-150 for electronic probes, it's more cost effective over the long run. i hope to replace the main test kits with probes as they are used up (already have ph, but would love calc, nitrate and alk).

C

calvertbill

Is there any particular brand of probe you would recommend? I definately want to go that way because my partial color blindness means I always have to get others to read the color comparison tests.
For example I saw something called a Pinpoint Nitrate monitor for $250.

mudplayerx

I use American Marine probes and controllers with no problems.
I use the ph probe in my calcium reactor and I have both a CO2 tank and a airstone connected to the controller. This all cost me under $1000 and it totally maintains my calcium, alkalinity, and ph 100% automated.

mudplayerx

Here's a pic of the ph controller. There are two electrical outlets on the back. The airstone turns on if the ph goes too low and a solanoid valve turns on the CO2 tank if the ph goes to high.

espkh9

red sea is very easy to use and worked for me fine for 2 years check out my reef pics with 110 corals thriving..i also got some seachem they are very good too.. do not know anything about these sailer test kits.

mudplayerx

Originally Posted by Espkh9
http:///forum/post/2620490
red sea is very easy to use and worked for me fine for 2 years check out my reef pics with 110 corals thriving..i also got some seachem they are very good too.. do not know anything about these sailer test kits.
If you use Red Sea test kits, you may want to pay extra to get the pro/advanced test kits because the regular ones arent worth jack imo.