Best way to clean up after a saltwater spill?

snakeblitz33

ok - simple and to the point: I spilled about 3g of saltwater on my carpet. I've used a couple of towels to sop up as much as I could and I'm putting down a fan to blow on it a bit.
What is the best way of cleaning a saltwater spill out of the carpet?

deejeff442

yep my wife has a good carpet cleaner and it works great .but i also do what you are doing.i always spill water on my carpet.it was so much nicer in my last house when it was tile.next house it going to be all stained concrete .

snakeblitz33

Alrighty then. I'll just keep on keeping on and borrow a cleaner from my mother in law sometime today. Thanks all.
Bang Guy, thanks for the pic. Now I'm wondering if you can answer other threads with just pics? LOL I think this little game we are playing is pretty funny. :D

flower

I keep Sham Wows....they pull up water like nothing else....Then I use my carpet cleaner, mostly to dilute the salt since it's so distructive to the fibers. When my carpet, which was new when we moved into the house 3 years ago, is ready to be replaced....we are planning to put down Pergo flooring, it looks like wood flooring but more durable. My mother had it in her last house, I like tile myself but it gets too slippery when wet.

snakeblitz33

Ok. Thanks. Store was closed today. Will be closed tomorrow too. By the it should dry relatively well with the fan. Salt creep will start coming up through the carpet. I vacuum once a week anyways. Plus, the carpet is semi-white.

flower

Hey...I thought I would throw this info out to anyone interested. My brother used to do carpet cleaning professionally. Once you clean a new carpet you wash out the scotch guard. That's the reason it gets dirty faster after you clean it....However, Scotch guard is just liguid starch. After you clean your carpet, spray 2 parts starch to 3 parts water in a spray bottle while the carpet is still damp and it will protect your carpet from stains and it will stay clean longer.

deejeff442

lol. i did a wc on my tank today.i fired it back up ,came back a bout a half hour later and my external skimmer went nuts and dumped 3-4 gallons on the floor.thanks for the jinx snake

alpha

Don't feel bad. My overflow box lost suction at 2am, and i flooded about 55 gallons of water on the floor..... i unfortunately am still soaking it up with a towel... now its squishy. was this xmas the year of the flood? Im just wondering seems like a bunch of us have spilled water today.