Beth, Ophiura: Crinoid feather star

blennybabe

I work at a LFS and we got our order in today. Our supplier sent us a feather star instead of a feather duster. I have done a little research on them as I once wanted one very badly. I gave up becuse they are so hard to keep and are such specialized feeders. But I figgure that I should at least try to keep this creature alive since sending it back to the ocean is impossible. I acclimated it for 5 hours and now it is in the very mature reeftank at my work. the tank has been set up for 5+years. we have successfully kept linckias for almost that long. I plan on letting it adjust to the tank for a few days to a few weeks and then transfering it to my home tank where I can feed it at night. I found a picture in a book that looks a lot like it. The species name of the one in the book is a Petasometra clarae.
If anyone has any other information, please let me know. Ill get a picture up in a few days. I would especially appreciate info from Beth. How is yours doing, how have you been caring for it? Ophiura, your opinion would also be appreciated of course.
Thanks
Rachel

blennybabe

I have done some more research and an article by Dr. Shimek says that they are impossible. There is one person that has kept them alive for a four years, and I'm trying to find him and talk to him. He said that he never feeds it, but that it just lives off of whats in the tank. I feel so depressed that this creature will die. Im going to write to my supplier and encourage them not to capture them.

slothy

ya ophiura mentioned and i have read that they only eat a certain particle size of whatever.. kinda sucks they are very neat creatures.. but knowing now what i do, i wish i never got it

ophiura

Odds are the one's most people keep for a few months are starving the whole time :( These animals can take an incredibly long time to slowly waste away after basically digesting themselves to death.
I remember this post about the person keeping them for some time. Let me look it up. Try to email me at ophiuroid@att.net
The post is on another board so I will not be able to link it here. I did find the link. Please email me.
Thanks

blennybabe

the star seems to have acclimated alright. I have been feeding him all kinds of stuff, about three times a day. Its hard to tell what he actually eats, but I get a response from it every time the syringe hits the water. I have tried phytoplex chromaplex and microvert by Kent. It also seemed interested in daphnia although I dont think it ate any. Its so hard to tell. I will get some DT's soon. Is there anything else I should try? I have heard a little about roti-pods, are they good?
It hasnt moved from where I put it. I think it is a free moving one though.
well wish me luck... I really would like to keep this alive.

ophiura

Do not be mistaken by the response...it certainly can smell there is food, and it probably is pretty darn hungry. But I hate to say it- if those foods actually worked for them, they would not have the dismal survival record they have. Those foods will be no where near enough for it. You will have to do some very creative things here, various types of blender mush, live cultures of various types of animals, etc.
I think the only chance is to find someone with a big 200g + reef tank with lots of sea urchins and the like, similar to the one in the thread you found on another board.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
They are not "impossible", however, mine did die. Just as Dr. Ron said, it appeared to do fine, then suddenly took a downslide and simply disintegrate...it was really horrible to watch, because it was still alive as it disintegrated. However, I know someone who has had one in his reef tank for a few yrs. He has a well established tank, 350gal, with a refrugium. Likewise, when I was seeking info about them, I ran across another hobbyist who had also successfully kept one, going on 18mos then. There is no know target feedings, which is near impossible anyway due to their particular and limited food sources. Here are some links.
http://www.nova.edu/ocean/messing/cr...2pagelist.html
I also exchanged some emails with Charles Messing, link above, and he pretty much said they are near impossible to keep in captivity. Apparently, however, some hobbyists have achieved it.
I’d suggest a well established tank, perhaps with a DSB, and a refugium. I’m sure mine starved. I did notice that it started to take a downward turn when my sargassum died off---it was always hanging on the sargassum for suspension feeding. It hung upside down on the long sargassum branches, floated around in the water column with arms fully extended; like clockwork every nite at 8am, and continued well into the nite while the lights were out. Very delicate creatures.

ijeh99

I am just wondering if you highly recommend returning a feather starfish? I am so happy you posted the COMATULID WEBSITE. It was very interesting to read. It does sound it is a lot of work. I do not want to keep something that eventually will die - it is too heartbreaking.