BIG Tank Pics

dockery07

I dont think I have any digital pictures. Sean is an engineer and designed it so if you have any questions just ask. It is pretty cool. I can get some better pictures if you want to see them

dockery07

Hi, I'm Sean (Dockery07's husband).
The canopy was buit by using 1"X6" finish boards assembled in a box formation and re-enforced. I put 3/4" plywood on the top to secure, and mounted the lights with polished aluminum to reflect the maximum light. Box fan's are also mounted in the top to remove heat. 4 fans, two directing air up, and two directing air down.
The edge is crown molding from any home improvement store that when put together finishes the 6" piece (Cuts were not as easy as I first thought, so buy some extra). Crown molding was also added to the top to hide the fans, mounted to the top. The canopy is secured to the frame that surrounds the tank via a piano hinge.
Lights are turned on and off by a microswitch so when you open the lid, you aren't blinded:cool:
Maybe that's too much information, if you want more then just let me know. just about all of it was built from hand with common tools.

spyderreef

Hi Sean, (Dockery07's husband)
What type of lighting do you have? If you go back to my pic you will see two MH hanging from my ceiling. I would like a canopy that does not necessarily hold the lights. It would be great if it could but I think that it would be too tall. I would like to reduce the amount of glare that I get when I sit and look at the tank. If you would rather e-mail me at lori@atraffic.com or we could start a new post I would appreciate more info on the contruction of your tank.

nm reef

Great pics of your systems folks...plans are in the works to triple the size of mine(actual size increase...not Broomerized)...for now its just a lil 55....but its a good 'un.

demosthenes

1st
Great tanks everybody, and I should have expected something like that from Broomer.
2nd
U235a4, I love your tank. I've always wanted to try a shoal of Yellow Tangs.

sal t. nutz

My VHO lighting will be here on thursday, when I get it, I'll get you pics of my tank. It is looking great. Wouldn't look so good without lights though.

ryanbooton

Nice tanks EVERYONE!!
Broomer: how much sand do you have in your tank? I'm jealous of your tank:)
Dockery: Very nice setup!
Deuce: how long did it take to get your tank so established? Nice!
Really nice tank Amoroso!!
Thanks for sharing pics everybody:D

broomer5

Leslie,
thanks
I would guess somewhere around 220-240 lbs of sand.
I've added some over the last few months - but lost track.
It's about 5-6 inches deep at the right end.
The left end sand depth vary's with the clowns activity :(
Price you pay for keeping some sand flipping clownfish.
I've accepted it though.
Sorry for buggering up your original thread with my photo antics.
Was in a silly mood yesterday.
Great thread - some really nice tanks out there ( of all sizes )

spyderreef

Duece, I think that I have a starfish like yours. Never found out the name but looks similar. I fished mine out of my anemone a month ago undamaged. Two days later it wasn't so lucky. It lost 2 1/2 arms. Do they grow back? If so, how long does it take? Do you feed it anything special?

It is an orange Linkia star, I believe they have the same requirements as the Blue Linkias, except the orange variety are supposedly easier to keep. I do not feet mine anything special. I believe it feeds on detritus.

traxryu

Brand new 75 gallon oceanic. Still in the process of finishing the canopy and obviously the live stock. Sorry about the poor quality of the pic.