bio balls or rubble rock

sign guy

Ok, time to start an argument. what is better in a wet/dry rubble rock or ceramic bio balls
and dont just answer and then leave, explane your theory.
Imo if you have a pre filter before the bio balls and ceramic bb witch are more pourse than rr wouldn't the bb be better

gen1dustin

I'm new to saltwater not freshwater though & I decided to use bio-balls & once I get my live rock in I'll throw any rubble in with the bio-balls. I've got a blue-bonded filter pad before the balls.

cgrant

if your going reef you really wont need the bioballs once everything is going, if your going to do a fowlr and will have an aggressive tank you might want to consider having both.
I have a 210 with a couple of decent sized puffers, so i am keeping the bioballs but also doing a fuge, thats what i am going to try next anyway.

xdave

I use Biochem beads. They are pourous and have thousands of times the usable surface area of ceramic products. If you want to go cheaper, get lava gravel from a garden center.

sign guy

Originally Posted by xDave
I use Biochem beads. They are pourous and have thousands of times the usable surface area of ceramic products. If you want to go cheaper, get lava gravel from a garden center.
cool i have never heard of those. were did you get them from?

rswrestler

be cautious about the lava gravel...the lava rock can have some earth metals in them that are harmful for your tank.

gen1dustin

Originally Posted by RSWrestler
be cautious about the lava gravel...the lava rock can have some earth metals in them that are harmful for your tank.
From my understanding only true natural lava rock has that. Which any lava rock made for aquarium use is man-made & I'm pretty sure everything from home improvement stores is man-made.

sign guy

Originally Posted by Gen1Dustin
From my understanding only true natural lava rock has that. Which any lava rock made for aquarium use is man-made & I'm pretty sure everything from home improvement stores is man-made.
Is lava rock better than rubble rock

T

thomas712

Which is better? the bio balls, far more surface area and will get less clogged that rock rubble. But would still need to be maintained.
I've got plenty of discussion threads on bio balls, even a bio ball pros and cons if you like to do a search.

gen1dustin

Originally Posted by sign guy
Is lava rock better than rubble rock
I'm not for sure, I do believe however that both would have more surface area for bacteria than like plastic bio-balls. I would think the rubble would be best since it is already inhibited by things.

I have thought of this a few times myself. Most people state the bio balls are a nitrate trap unless you clean them regularly. With this in ming I would think you would have to clean the live rock rubble just as regularly because it will trap just as much detrious as the balls if not more.
Rich

sign guy

I'm not for sure, I do believe however that both would have more surface area for bacteria than like plastic bio-balls. I would think the rubble would be best since it is already inhibited by things.
But dont the bio balls have more area, all those spikes?

sign guy

Originally Posted by lobstergrabber
I have thought of this a few times myself. Most people state the bio balls are a nitrate trap unless you clean them regularly. With this in ming I would think you would have to clean the live rock rubble just as regularly because it will trap just as much detrious as the balls if not more.
Rich
If you have a good pre filter wouldn't the trash be caught

gen1dustin

Yeah a pre filter does work from what I hear & I have me a nice piece of blue bonded filter pad above mine. I think a lot of times that might be over done with them being nitrate traps, JMO though.
I think it is that rocks would be porous unlike a bio ball.

sign guy

Yeah a pre filter does work from what I hear & I have me a nice piece of blue bonded filter pad above mine. I think a lot of times that might be over done with them being nitrate traps, JMO though.
I think it is that rocks would be porous unlike a bio ball.
here is what I have heard
plastic bio balls are not as porous as rubble rock but still has more surface area
and ceramic bio balls are more porous than rr and have as much surface area as bb
what is over done the pre filter?