Bioload - Beginner QUestion

codered

I've set up my aquarium, and it has been running for six weeks. I'm done with my cycle. I've had recent problems with "red slime" but they've been taken care of. I have a 30-gallon aquarium, two thirty-gallons filters, no protein skimmer, and 35lbs of live rock.
I have a small false clownfish, a neon velvet damsel, a cleaner shrimp, two turbo snails, and a chocolate chip starfish.
Is this too much of a bioload? I am not seeing a spike in ammonia. I've always heard 2 inches of fish for every thirty gallons. Fully grown, I'd have about four inches of fish. However, I'm not sure how the inverts count in this equation.
Is this too much, or can I add a yellow tang?
CodeRed

bang guy

Your bioload is fine IMO. You could probably add a couple of small fish if you'd like but no Tangs. a 30 doesn't have the swimming space that a Tang requires.

wax32

Neon Velvet Damsels are really cool, aren't they? Be aware though, they get REALLY mean. A wrasse might be a way to add a little more motion to your tank, and the damsels usually leave them alone, at least in my experience.
BTW, neon velvets get to about 6 inches, borderline big for your tank. Unless we are talking about different fish:
http://www.zooxanthellae.com
Neon Velvet, Neoglyphidodon oxyodon

codered

They are really cool, and those are indeed the fish that I have. The guy at the pet store told me 2" max though.
Do snails count against bioload?

bang guy

Originally Posted by CodeRed
They are really cool, and those are indeed the fish that I have. The guy at the pet store told me 2" max though.
Do snails count against bioload?
I have a non-standard opinion of bioload.
My opinion for fish: bioload isn't the deciding factor on how many you can keep. It's space. A tank with a LOT of waterflow and a sand bed or a good supply of rock can grow enough bacteria to easily handle any reasonable bioload and probably even an unreasonable bioload. Saltwater fish need their space though. When they are crowded they are stressed. When they are stressed the immune system fails and wounds don't heal and infections and parasites have opportunity.
So, technically, inverts add to the bioload. They add about the same bioload as fish ounce for ounce. But their space requirements are generally less depending on the invert.