Birdsnest is ALIVE YAYYYYY

meowzer

I got a birdsnest a while back, and for some reason it died...and got covered with algae...SORTA...well I left it in the tank...JUST IN CASE

GUESS WHAT...I have new branch's growing
here are a couple of pics....I am not going to break it from the dead section until it gets a lot bigger....then I will break it off a little under the dead....and putty it to the rock

bulldog123

I tried this same thing with my purple monster but was not so lucky. Birdsnest is a greating looking coral for little money. I started with a one inch frag about a year and a half ago and is now the size of a softball. Once it starts getting surface area it will just explode! Oh and keep the algae off. LOL

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog123 http:///forum/thread/380540/birdsnest-is-alive-yayyyyy#post_3312090
I tried this same thing with my purple monster but was not so lucky. Birdsnest is a greating looking coral for little money. I started with a one inch frag about a year and a half ago and is now the size of a softball. Once it starts getting surface area it will just explode! Oh and keep the algae off. LOL
LOL...I know....let me ask you this....How long would you wait before you cut it from the dead stuff????

I'm a little scared since I just got it back

and this is my 2nd birdsnest.....for a hardy coral, they sure don't like me

bulldog123

What kind of flow and light are you keeping it in. Im not really sure why I ask this other than it would be the normal question. LOL!! I have kept mine on the bottom of a 29" tank to about 8" from the top and it does great in both places. Not sure where im going but maybe to many samuel adams. Ok push the a.d.d aside and back to you question. I would let it continue to grow for several months before I fragged it. As a matter of fact I have a tenis that has dead tissue on the bottom and have not fragged it off either. I do keep an eye on it just in case it does start to stn. At that point frag it as fast as you can.

meowzer

It's in the 225G under 250W metal halides and T5HO.....moderate flow....

Thanks.....I think I will wait till it grows a lot more

nycbob

i wouldnt frag it either at such a small size. my birdnest is also coming back to life since the crash i had in may. in fact, i may post some pics later on.

meowzer

OHHHH I just noticed what may be some new growth on the other side too YAYYYY

I can not get a good pic of it cause of where it is.....:( Maybe when it gets bigger...it looks like it has grown some in the last 2 days too