Birthday present from my wife

bmkj02

I would like to get an answer to this as well. I have purchased Monti twice and both times they did the same exact thing. They got that algae stuff on it, turned white and brittle till it was done. I really want to grow these but I cant. I have them in a 125g with 2x400w Hamilton MH 20k lights with 4x54w actinic T5HO. Anyone growing these? What kind of lights do you use and how much flow???

caz2022

Well its going on a month an that tiny piece is still holding its color while the two larger ones have long since bleached out and died. Im trying not to get my hopes up that it will survive because I hate disappointment but a small part of me gets excited everytime I look at it

Hi, I know this thread is a little old but I was just wondering how the monti turned out. I love monti caps, they are one of my favorite corals. I found that monti caps dont do well in direct flow, I would move them away from the direct flow and make sure they have good light. I had a monti cap in front of one of my mp 40's after a couple of days it started to white out on the edges, I moved the mp 40 down a little and the cap returned to normal. This is a picture of a green cap I started from a frag.

mproctor4

Longislandmike---that is a beautiful monti! How long did it take to grow to that size.
I have a TINY frag that is just starting to show a little growth. I think it will take forever to get as big as yours! I should have just bit the bullet and bought a more expensive/bigger piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproctor4 http:///forum/thread/378523/birthday-present-from-my-wife/20#post_3356401
Longislandmike---that is a beautiful monti! How long did it take to grow to that size.
I have a TINY frag that is just starting to show a little growth. I think it will take forever to get as big as yours! I should have just bit the bullet and bought a more expensive/bigger piece.
Hi Mproctor, when that cap started it was about 3in about a year and a half ago. They are very fast growers, once they start to grow they dont stop. If you noticed some growth take a picture of it now and then again in a two months, you will see a big difference. I have fragged a bunch off that monti before the picture, it was much bigger. The monti in this first picture was taken in july the second picture was taken today, I also fragged this cap as well.

mproctor4

Wow--that is alot of growth. My frag has been in the tank about a month and I am starting to see a small amount of growth around the edges. It is very well glued to a plasic frag plug. I am wondering if I should remove the monti from the plug and glue it to a rock or cut the bottom of the plug and glue the plastic piece to a rock. Any suggestions? I don't want to damage it. Thanks for your help.

I found that they do take some time to start growing, but when they start, they take off. If you got it a month ago and see some growth already, I would leave it alone. Try not to touch it so much, they crack like potato chips. Do you test and dose Strontium and Potassium? Since I have been testing and dosing for the two, my corals have been taking off. Elos and Salifert sell the test kits for the two.

mproctor4

Thanks for the advice
I have just recently started with corals, so far the only thing extra I have been testing is Calcium. I will look into getting the other test kits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproctor4 http:///forum/thread/378523/birthday-present-from-my-wife/20#post_3356690
Thanks for the advice
I have just recently started with corals, so far the only thing extra I have been testing is Calcium. I will look into getting the other test kits.
No Problem. Yes calcium is very important to test, but you really need to at least test your KH and magnesium as well. Both are very important to a reef tank. If you magnesium is low you will never get your alk and calcium correct. I use salifert and elos test kits, I find they are the most accurate.

mproctor4

Good to know. I have alot to learn about corals. We have the API saltwater test, calcium, and Alk. I have been looking for Magnesium and Iodine but have not been able to find them locally. I'm sure I will have to buy them online. I will definately look for K+ and Magnesium also. Wasn't sure I really needed the iodine but have heard corals need it and I don't want to add it if I can't test for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproctor4 http:///forum/thread/378523/birthday-present-from-my-wife/20#post_3356903
Good to know. I have alot to learn about corals. We have the API saltwater test, calcium, and Alk. I have been looking for Magnesium and Iodine but have not been able to find them locally. I'm sure I will have to buy them online. I will definately look for K+ and Magnesium also. Wasn't sure I really needed the iodine but have heard corals need it and I don't want to add it if I can't test for it.
yeah, Iodine is important to test for. I would also get a strontium and potassium test kits as well. You hit it on the head, I also dont like to add anything unless I can test for it. I found that my tank started looking the best (color and Growth) since I started add and testing strontium, potassium and iodine.

mkroher

I wouldn't dose iodine.
Unless you have a tank loaded with corals, you shouldn't have to dose anything. All the essential elements are in the salt mix, which get replenished with water changes.