black mollies and guppies

csrobe02

I cycled my tank with a black mollie and now 5 months later its the only fish in my tank. My tank has had some kind of disease and the mollie is the only thing to survive it. That fish is some kind of machine, but has quite the personality :)

jen p

Another cool thing about them is that they give birth to live babies (not eggs) if you have a male and female mollie. My saltwater fish thought they were a great meal. I know that sounds kind of morbid, but I had two females that were constantly spitting out about 20 at a time and overpopulation would have definitly been an issue.

fishman830

i just staretd about a breeder tank for sword tails.. the first tiem was a few years ago i was 11 or 12 and i had a bunch of fry, then later i had zebra danio fry.. TINY!

robb

I acclimated my guppies from FW to SW in a day and a half. I put them in a bucket of FW with a small powerhead. I would dip out a cup of water and add a cup of SW every little while till the PG was where it needed to be. Everyone of them made it through with no problem.

naturelover

Easy way to do it is take a 1.5 gal (small pet lizzard carriers) fill it with atleast 1/2 gal freshwater with fish, run airline tubing from your maintank or sump/fuge until water it fills up. This methode wouldn't take more than 40 min and never have failed IME (Hard way you can regulate drip and do it for over 12 hrs).

naturelover

:D you can buy anykind of saltwater mollies at a warehouse in dayton ohio for around $9. It opend for public just a month ago and it's very expensive place.

dmarie120

I've used a fishbowl to acclimate mine, just kept adding some saltwater to it and removing some of the water in it as it got fuller.
Too bad you're not closer to me, I've got a ton of babies right now and because of the color of their parents (I've use more than just the black mollies) they're beautiful. I have an over abundance right now so I'm using most of them for food for my lionfish.
Good luck.

cadbury

I can understand maybe people wanting to start with mollies as starter fish, but other than that why would you put them in a saltwater aquarium. Don't get me wrong, I have two aquariums, a 180 Reef and a 29 freshwater with lotsa mollies, I raise them in there, but would never put them in my 180?

bang guy

Originally posted by cadbury
why would you put them in a saltwater aquarium.

2 reasons:
1 - They are very useful in keeping Quaranteen Tanks cycled.
2 - Banggai LOVE baby Mollies.