Black or White?

flower

I have to replace my sand with live sand to get my tank back on track…Goby will go to a new home after all.
The sand I have now will go in the refugium and I will replace what is in the Display. I found some live black sand….so I was wondering about what people have to say about it.
Those of you who use black sand, do you like it?

spanko

Never had black sand, but have read that it looks good when new and after a while looks bad because everything stands out on it.

S

smartorl

I like the black sand. I have never had any issues over time. There are changes yes, but I don't think they are neccessarily bad, because it happens gradually and it's not super noticiable. The only thing I don't care for is when you buy the black live sand, there seems to be alot of "trash" in it. I netted everything out, there were some plastic pieces and woody pieces. I assume this is because of where it's collected.
I have some newer tanks with black sand but also some that are several years old

btldreef

I have had both. Black sand looks great in the beginning, but over time it fades and just looks dirty and cheap. White sand with a decent amount of Nassarius snails and other CUC members should stay white.

sparty059

I have Arag-Alive... it's a mixture between fine grain and larger grains of sand. It's also a mixture of black and white... I like the color it shows when I have my lights on... I'll take a picture of it later today to show you what it looks like so you can see for yourself.

flower

Looking fake, another consideration. New it does look pretty awesome, I don’t care for looking grey and old. BIG sigh…I guess I stay with boring old white.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/380878/black-or-white#post_3316237
I like the white Flower.....every beach I have been to has had white sand...LOL...so white is natural to me

I don’t go to the beach, I am on medication and can’t be in the sun, I get migraine headaches. I love the look of a fish tank, it’s so peaceful. I never went for the blue or yellow gravel when I had freshwater tanks, I had natural rock colors. I guess I’m a little worried with the goby being gone that it will look dirty.
He is kind of a gimpy goby, not a good specimen, his body is crooked, I got him that way…since I got it from SWF.com he eats mysis shrimp and algae sheets so I was happy with him…he won’t starve and my sand is clean…oh well..clean does not a healthy tank make.
Oh..My ballast came today.Let there be light..LOL

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/380878/black-or-white#post_3316270
WOW...what did they do....send it next day air.....

Well their ballasts may not be any good but their people are fantastic, this is the e-mail I got back after I sent my receipt proving the lights were paid for and under the warranty time:
Deborah,
Thank you! I have everything entered. I did have an elite ballast already out of inventory so I will hand walk it to shipping . It will be coming out UPS ground. Please let me know if there are any other issues.
Regards,
LuAnn
LuAnn Milbrandt
Technical Support

nizz

That is great. Back to the topic. Lol I prefer the white sand over the black. It’s a more natural look then black. I had black for my fresh water and its looks cool at first. But, all the fish crap slowly makes it look bad.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizz http:///forum/thread/380878/black-or-white#post_3316287
That is great. Back to the topic. Lol I prefer the white sand over the black. It’s a more natural look then black. I had black for my fresh water and its looks cool at first. But, all the fish crap slowly makes it look bad.

Well a proper cleaning crew and the right power head circulation would fix that…I was thinking the black faded. It’s very hard to compare freshwater and salt. The algae in freshwater tanks is almost impossible to be rid of, the algae eaters are not very useful. Goldfish poop stands alone, rats with fins they are.
If the black sand does not look natural, or fades I won’t consider it further, but if remains black and not turn an ugly gray…I just might.