black pvc

darkfish

is black pvc toxic to aquariums? I notice white seems to be the only color used. I have a black background and will have some fittings inside the tank. I want them to be as invisible as possible

mr_x

where do you buy black pvc? i have never seen it. i've seen the black spaflex hose, but not rigid.
i doubt it's toxic.

nitschke65

I don't think there's black pvc. The heavy duty, schedule 80, pvc is a very dark grey. It has a thicker wall and is much more expensive than the regular white schedule 40. Schedule 20 has an even thinner wall thickness and is also white. None of it is toxic.

Cpvc is the tan stuff that can be used for potable water distribution. (supply lines)

nitschke65

Oh yeah, I should probably mention that you need to buy fittings (elbows, couplings, unions, etc.) that match the type of pipe you're using. The outside diameter of the pipe also varies, so these pieces are not interchangable. Schedule 80 pvc, and it's fittings, might only be available at large plumbing supply houses. It is not at any big box outlets, at least not up here in Wisconsin. It's generally shipped in 20' lengths, so I hope you can find a place that sells it by the foot.

scotts

Black PVC is actually ABS, which is generally used in sewer lines. It takes a different type of cement than PVC. Is it toxic in an aquarium,
As has been noted Schedule 80 is dark gray.

pezenfuego

Originally Posted by Scotts
http:///forum/post/2925422
Black PVC is actually ABS, which is generally used in sewer lines. It takes a different type of cement than PVC. Is it toxic in an aquarium,
As has been noted Schedule 80 is dark gray.
It isn't toxic, I use abs. The only problem with it that I see is the gray fittings.

nitschke65

Neither pvc or abs is toxic, but I believe the smallest black abs you'll find will be 1 1/2". Schedule 80 pvc can more readily be found in 1/2, 3/4, and 1".

silverdak

nope sched. 80 PVC is rare, regardless of size. sched. 40 is the most common of all the PVC types and readily available in 3/4" and 1" at a good supply house that is. 1/2" is a little bit harder to come upon but still easier to find sched 80. I worked at a plumbing supply house, and did orders of pipe... very few places have sched 80. stil with sched 40

bang guy

Originally Posted by Mr_X
http:///forum/post/2925365
where do you buy black pvc? i have never seen it. i've seen the black spaflex hose, but not rigid.
i doubt it's toxic.
SAVKO has black PVC, just slightly more than white. They also have black fittings to go with the black tubing.

nitschke65

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
http:///forum/post/2925470
SAVKO has black PVC, just slightly more than white. They also have black fittings to go with the black tubing.
A 1" sched. 40 elbow is $.42, the same in sched. 80 is $1.91. The pipe itself is about twice as much, depending on size. I'm not saying you'll go broke buying enough schedule 80 for an aquariuim project, but it is much more expensive than schedule 40, and no where near as readily available. I built a pvc overflow for a friend using cpvc. It's been in his tank for 6 months, and is so covered with coraline that you can't tell what it's made out of!

darkfish

I have ready access to the plumbing wholesalers because of my line of work. They have sced 80. To bad it doesnt carry as much water because it is thicker though. I have heard that you can dye pvc with fabic dye. I might do that for fun with sced 40. I believe you that it will be covered in coraline in no time but it would bug me till it does.

richmond98

Ok so going with Darkfish"s inquirey about having white pvc piping against his black background i will ask the next question....
Can the pipe be painted??? and if so what would be the recomended type/style/brand of paint to use?

silverdak

... I dont think you really want to paint it... your going to paint it then put it in the tank, I have seen my fish pick at the powerheads and all sorts of stuff in the tank, I know I woudlnt take a chance of my fish eating some paint, it can't possible be good or ok for them