Black tip shark

unknown

I am wondering so of the specs a shark like this would need??
Such as tank sizes, food, Does he need a sandy borrom or lots of rock??
Any info on him would help alot.
Don't worry about him growing up I have a 50,000 gallon waiting for him(mom works at the zoo) it's a +
Vince.
Who on this board has one of these sharks??

tony detroit

Novice150, mattiej, and cincryreefer all have experience with these guys. For temporary home you'd need I'd guess at least 10' x 5' for now and that's if you have a zoo lined up for one. They're about a G to buy.

unknown

DAM!!!! I was thinking like a 300gallon and the shark would only be like $300-500 bucks.
Well there goes that idea.
I need help Tony.
I want a active swimmer like a black tip that will fit is roughly a 300 gallon with about 100lbs of rock and a sand bed if needed.
Any ideas??
Vince.

gasguzzler

The ONLY ones you could get away with would be one smoothound if the dimensions are at least 8'x3'. No less.
Black tips need at least 10,000 gallons just to SURVIVE.

mattiej

I agree totally with Tony and gasguzzler, blacktips need a minimum of atleast 10000 gallons and a pool of atleast 10-15 feet just to carry out normal biological functioning.
The smmothound isn't too bad of an idea but I would suggest removing the majority of the live rock. These guys need room to move and the rock takes up too much needed space. With that said the tank will need the largest filter and skimmer you can fit on it. The live rock alone will not maintain proper water conditions, you will need the above mentioned filters.

unknown

I understand what your are saying. I was just wondering how long I could have the shark in there until I had to move him. He will be 3 weeks old when I get him couple sharks haveing baby's at the zoo and I get to have one till he gets bigger.
I remember novice150 haveing one in like a 500g I think or maybe it was cinncy. All I know is it was about 15" long and the tank had a center black overflow in the middle of it.
Would a nurse shark or an eputtla(spelling) shark be ok for some time in a tank around 300g??
I dont really like the way smouthgounds look. They look all small and fraile IMO. Thats just me. They are a good looking fish but the cost does not justify the veiw to me. Thats what I mean when I say that dont look good to me.
An other Ideas on sharks, Eel, other Agg. fish, Ect.
Remember I am a 17 year old kid with a low paying job.
Vince.
P.S. Dontations are ALWAYS excepted NO MATTER WHAT THEY ARE. NO MATTER WHAT

unknown

Thats not the thread im talking about.
This is the one
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/show...lack+tip+shark
This is falconreds 720 gallon with the black tip in there.
How fast do they grow.
I am still considering having a baby black tip for like a year at the most.
Look at the pics of Falcon's shark, at this size shark would be on it's way to the zoo most likely.
Vince.

aquaman

When the shark bug hit me 2 years ago, I went out and bought the book Aquarium Sharks and Rays by Scott W. Michael. It gave me all the info I needed and helped me to see that I (or most aquarists) do not have the necessary nor adequate environment (I.e. size thank, filtration, money) for most shark species. It does list what I could possibly have, given a larger tank, but mostly it helped me to see I would be condemning an animal to death, and wasting money in the process. That is not to say you would have the same restraints I do, you have the means to take care of these animals. Either way the book is a great recourse, especial if you decide to keep sharks.
:D

gasguzzler

I thin you really need to do some research. An epaullette would be fine in a 300 but a NURSE!? Nurse sharks get to 14 feet long! And you are STILL considering a black tip!!! It would take you at least 6 months to just save up the money for the equipment! Please buy the book, read it 20 times and adandon the idea.

unknown

I totally understand were you are coming from gas, But keep in mind. I have a zoo ready for any shark I choose to have in my aquarium. I know right now of a 4ft nurse shark being keep in a 300g. kinda mean for the shark I know.
I wanted a black tip so bad I am trying to think of ways to get him.
I will be able to get the equipment for cheap, I know some poeple who do shark tanks for a part time job. And the black tip would be almost a new born(baby's at the zoo Coming soon) and I get him almost free like only $100.
When the shark is born it is only around 6" long. Why could he not last in a 300 gallon.
Vince.

tvan

Why not buy him, leave him in the zoo, have him tagged, pay for his upkeep. And.... enjoy him for years .
Tom

mattiej

Unknown, I can understand your enthusiasm at shark keeping but you need to slow down and take a breath. If I am not mistaken you don't even have the tank set up nor even the equipment bought. This is a very dangerous way to enter shark keeping, especially for such a demanding speceis as the blacktip. The cost of simple upkeep along with feeding can be quite high for sharks and so much so for a growing pup that has a higher food demand due to its growth needs. You are incorrect in that blacktips are not born at 6 inches, the average birth size for most blacktips is between 18 and 21 inches or slightly larger. If the shark is kept at near perfect conditions and fed properly (which it should be!) then in six months it could reach just over 30 inches to three feet, already too large for a 300. I understand that Falconred has one in a 720 gallon but if you look back over the post you will see that several members questioned him about such a small tank for the shark but you are asking for us to justify your keeping of the same shark in a tank less than half the volume of that tank. Those of us who have experience with sharks simply can't give you the OK. To put it more simply, if you go ahead and get the shark (which in all likelihood you will anyway) it will not do well in the 300 and the damage will be done.
I am also very concerned that a public aquarium is even considering selling you a shark that can reach between five and six feet! I have worked at a public aquarium for over five years and have had to deal with many pirvate hobbyists wanting to buy or adopt animals and not one offer was ever entertained. I am dismayed even more that even if they do sale off livestock they are willing to sale you the shark to go into a 300 gallon tank.
Please understand that we are not trying to discourage you from shark keeping, we are only suggesting strongly that you forget the blacktip until you have a pool of over 5000 gallon at bare minimum. I would also like to suggest you gain some more experience with the 'easier' shark species before attempting the much more demanding sharks.

tony detroit

Unknown, let me put it to you this way.
After keeping a leopard and a smoothound and a bamboo, and a cali ray all in a 300gal for less than a year, I would never ever do it again. It was cruel, selfish and stupid.
I'm almost 100% against keeping freeswimming sharks in the home aquarium now unless you really are equipped to do it.
IMO get the 300gal and get some triggers, angels, puffers, whatever suits your fancy, you'll have more movement and color than with any shark tank that size.
I think the only sharks for the home aquarium now should be the bamboo, coral cat, and the epaulette. All the rest just get too dang big, even the horn shark. They fill out rather quick.

cubuffs

I agree with all of the previous posts. They are all true, and everyone that has given you advice, has experience with sharks.
In fact, to follow up on Tony's post, I have a bamboo that is still only 12" in my aquarium and I am selling him because I know that a 180 gallon isn't enough for him. They need all of the space that they can get and it isn't fair for the animal to have to live in such a cramped environment.
Further, you mentioned about aquiring the "Aquarium Sharks and Rays" book. I am selling mine, so please look at other threads posted to get the information.
All in all, please don't purchase one on impulse. I realize that you have a space for his future, but keep in mind that you can only keep a black tip in a 300 for about a year or less. I get attached to my fish, and to give them away is just heartbreaking. Please give it some thought, and follow what your heart tells you.

unknown

Mattiej I resent the fact that you think I am such a novice that I will disregard all that has been said to me about this shark tank and go ahead with it.
I have already informed the zoo that i can not take the shark due to the size of my tank. my mother works at the zoo so thats how I would get the shark.
I am now thinking an epaulette shark for about a year or so then see how it goes from there.
I understand the passion you guys feel for the sharks cause I wish I could give the shark HIS dream tank, but I just don't have kinda space or money to do such.
I am asking for help to figure out what type of equipent I will need to have a epaulette shark along with a large Green Moray, and a couple small fish like a foxface or something.
I am interesded in your book what is the price?
Vince.
thxs for all the help guys I do appreciate it even though I will be unable to raise a black tip shark in my home.
I respect you all

cubuffs

We all respect you and your decisions. However, we try to give you advice that is not misleading and accurate. If you do go this route, that is your plan. Just remember that it is very expensive to buy and keep any one of those sharks that are mentioned. If you don't have the money to do so, then you may be throwing that money away.
The book is $30 and will give you all of the shark information that you will ever need.
rtsmith18@hotmail.com