Blackfish

2quills

It was a documentary film taking a look at killer whales in captivity. It was actually very good.

pezenfuego

I did! I did!

I thought it was a great documentary. I have passionately hated Sea World for some time (for reasons not necessarily related to the documentary-or the following story for that matter) and this documentary really felt like it was supporting my opinion, which made me want to see the other side of the debate. But that got me thinking...is there another side? I can't imagine what the other side would even say, but as my friend always says, "maybe you just have a shitty imagination." You guys need to see this documentary, it is really interesting and moving in my opinion. I have only been to Sea World once and it didn't take a documentary to make me never want to go again; it is a really horrible place.

Story: My friend's dad is a professor of psychology at my college and he spent a few months working with dolphins at a facility like Sea World (it may have been Sea World). One time my friend used the phrase "dolphins aren't people," which from a strictly biological standpoint is true, but his father took that as a challenge to a debate. It was really funny to watch with my friend losing so badly that it was almost painful. I know that this documentary isn't about dolphins, but the point is that the intelligence of these mammals is insanely underestimated. Oh and I didn't mention that my friend's dad, the professor, didn't conclude his research. He had to leave because he couldn't stand experimenting on the dolphins.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I went to the Georgia Aquarium a couple of weeks ago and was disturbed by the cetaceans kept there-4 belugas, 4 common dolphins-in what I consider very confined displays. The Aquarium as well has 4 whale sharks! The dolphins performed 365 days a yr in their one and only indoor show. Admittedly I have had concerns for cetaceans "shows" for quite a long time and even keeping these animals in captivity. Knowing that orcas dorsal fins atrophy in captivity is a sure clue that something is very wrong--the first time I noted this was when I watched Free Willy in the movie theater a long time ago. I will also add that the aquarium's wave display for reef fish is WAY overstocked with frantic fish darting about. Particularly notable are small yellow tanks (there was probably more than 100 of them in the tank) in addition to many other species.

Anyway, following my visit, I did come away troubled. Started locking around online. Ran across Blackfish and watched it. The documentary is very obviously a one-side advocacy in favor of not keeping orcas in captivity, particularly having them as performers. However, pictures don't lie and the documentary captures some heart-rending clips. I came away knowing that keeping these creatures, and other cetaceans in captivity is wrong, and even more wrong to turn them into circus animals. There is a reason that circuses are pretty much obsolete now, so its time to start thinking along those lines for sea mammals as well.

I am not anti Sea World. Sea World is a zoo, and I am not anti zoo either. Zoos have made great strides in our understanding and appreciation of animals, not to mention contributed to the conservation and preservation of vulnerable species such as the panda. Sea World has invested its business model on their animal shows and they aren't just going to give that up. They can't and survive. Yet, lets hope that they are forward thinking about this and make a concerted effort to move away from these shows. This will be very difficult as they have a lot of mammals now, who are very expensive to take care of. How will they manage to take care of these animals if they do not represent a profit for them?

2quills

That's tough break for Sea World. The film didn't paint them in a very favorable light and they remain mum about the allegations the film proposes.
I must have seen the Shamu show in San Diego nearly half a dozen times as a kid for personal and school field trips. I remember being amazed that people could make the whales do tricks, it was pretty inspiring. But these days I think there's a fine line between conservation and exploitation. I remember coming away from the film feeling like I should be punished for keeping a fish tank lol. It was pretty sad I have to admit.

2quills

Yea, but you don't make your fish do tricks...... or do you? Lol
If I could do that then people here would call me a God. But I have been known to trick fish with food a time or two.
2 (I'm so evil) Quills