Blue Carpet Anemone

stevedave08

I want to get one soon. What are your experiences with them and what's the price you paid for them? I've been doing my research, but I don't want to get shafted.

stevedave08

Best pricing I've seen is here on SWF, but the pic they have for the blue one is making me not want to get it here. It doesn't look blue at all.

aquaknight

I've seen a few sell locally in Orlando for $250. To be honest without seeing the exact anemone I'm buying, I wouldn't do it, though even so, it's probably will bleach some due to shipping. Good news is that carpet anemones are quite hardy, and with super strong lighting and good water should color back up. Though I wouldn't keep one with any fish I would regret the anemone eating...

stevedave08

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/3203776
I've seen a few sell locally in Orlando for $250. To be honest without seeing the exact anemone I'm buying, I wouldn't do it, though even so, it's probably will bleach some due to shipping. Good news is that carpet anemones are quite hardy, and with super strong lighting and good water should color back up. Though I wouldn't keep one with any fish I would regret the anemone eating...
Yeah, I know they'll bleach during shipping and don't want to buy online, especially when there is no guarantee I'll even receive it alive. I'm going to ask my LFS to get me one depending on the pricing and have him keep it at the store for at least a week before I take it home.

rod buehle

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3203881
Don't forget the fact that they are known FISH EATERS

Which ones??
Sorry for the rant, but a pet peeve of mine is when people lump all anemones in the same category. I am sure that the S. gigantea may have eaten a fish or two, but its very un-common ( I have had mine for 22 years combined (15 and 7) and have never lost a fish to either). S. hadoni on the other hand.... not sure about mertensi. Some of the non hosting carpets such as S.helinthus will not only eat other fish, but a strong posability that they will eat your clowns too
"" Aquanight" ""Good news is that carpet anemones are quite hardy, and with super strong lighting and good water should color back up. Though I wouldn't keep one with any fish I would regret the anemone eating...
Yesterday 01:09 PM
Again Which carpet are you refering to? I think that the percentage of people having success with S.gigantea is NOT very high. I will agree that the S.hadoni is easier to keep than many other anemones. S. gigantea will need super strong point source lighting because they are usually found in very shallow tide pools, where as the S. hadoni is usually collected in deeper water, and less intense lighting is required.
to the OP, $250 would be a good average for either species of a good healthy/colored blue.. S. hadoni are much more forgiving than S.gigantea.

meowzer

Rod Buehle;3204496 said:
Which ones??
QUOTE]
LOL...I have no clue....It just seems that most thread about carpet anemones involve fish eating.
I guess I could have said...HMMM....I have heard that SOME carpets will grow big and eat fish in the tank, maybe you should check and see if this one is known for that

ibew41

Originally Posted by Rod Buehle
http:///forum/post/3204496
Which ones??
Sorry for the rant, but a pet peeve of mine is when people lump all anemones in the same category. I am sure that the S. gigantea may have eaten a fish or two, but its very un-common ( I have had mine for 22 years combined (15 and 7) and have never lost a fish to either). S. hadoni on the other hand.... not sure about mertensi. Some of the non hosting carpets such as S.helinthus will not only eat other fish, but a strong posability that they will eat your clowns too
"" Aquanight" ""Good news is that carpet anemones are quite hardy, and with super strong lighting and good water should color back up. Though I wouldn't keep one with any fish I would regret the anemone eating...
Yesterday 01:09 PM
Again Which carpet are you refering to? I think that the percentage of people having success with S.gigantea is NOT very high. I will agree that the S.hadoni is easier to keep than many other anemones. S. gigantea will need super strong point source lighting because they are usually found in very shallow tide pools, where as the S. hadoni is usually collected in deeper water, and less intense lighting is required.
to the OP, $250 would be a good average for either species of a good healthy/colored blue.. S. hadoni are much more forgiving than S.gigantea.
love your coral food are you going to make food just for anems soon.