Blue damsel + Tomato clown

balistidae

I just added a tomato clown to my new 90...the LONE blue damsel wont stop pestering. Do I need to put the clown back in QT or will the badgering end?? Thanks, Greg

mary

The yellow tail damsel is less aggressive. Have one and one only in my tank and I find the only really snitty fish are the chromis now that they are fully grown. Caught my six line wrasse and now have a fairly peaceful community. Clowns get quite aggressive with age also. Mine have. Love to knock everything over! Most peaceful the tank has been in ages though. There are always rogue fish in every family though and maybe you got one, unless it is not a yellow tail, all of the others are very aggressive.

colcoral

I have two yellowtail blue damsels that were my first (sacrafice) fish in my tank. They never bother anybody. My clowns and damsel pick on all newcomers for a while, but it usually gets sorted out in a day to two.

mary

Since you are successful with two yellowtails, maybe I would try another. Do you have a male and female? I know the female has a fuller body. Pretty sure I have a male but it is a somewhat educated guess. Good to hear you have two and they get along. Love my one brilliant blue that is also active . Would love another yet worry about accidently getting two males. Rarely works out.
By the way, my husband and I can't get over that our Clarkii pair work together on knocking rocks down they don't like in their territory, which is the entire tank. I mean large rocks with corals on them. Thinking of glueing them down. Not the fish, the rocks. :happyfish

bang guy

Originally posted by Balistidae
I just added a tomato clown to my new 90...the LONE blue damsel wont stop pestering.

Most Damsels are very territorial and will vigerously fight to keep their area clear of other fish, especially other species of Damsels.
Both of the Damsel species you have placed together are on the top 10 list as far as aggressiveness. The first Damsel you added apparently has claimed the entire tank for itself and will never stop pestering the other Damsel until it leaves the area.
You could remove the Blue to the QT for a few weeks. This will allow the Tomato to claim a territory. Typically Clownfish claim a much smaller territory than other Damselfish. Once the Clown has become completely established you can then safely add the Blue Damsel and the Clownfish will be able to hold its ground.

mary

Well, You may be sorry! Now when you move him back, the major aggressor, the damsel, will have taken over and again you will have major battles. My clowns have a huge finger coral they call their own, and all the fish stay clear of that coral. It took them 3 years to choose one, but that is their major territory. I wish you luck 'cause that is what you will need. Clarkii's are the least aggressive of the clowns. Tomato one of the most, so there will be battling. Should have listened to Bang Guy!

balistidae

If i do move him back I will do so when the tomato is large enough to stick up for himself. He is only about an inch long and the damsel is gettin pretty large. If i could catch the damsel i would take him back but that just isnt happening haha. Maybe my fimbriated will get lucky and just eat him for me.

mary

Ah, so that does change the picture of things. My clowns when very little were very passive and frightened easily. A larger damsel can be a problem given your scenario. You did the right thing.

jodilynn

I had great success with using a 2 liter bottle and catching my fish, including some domino damsels. What you do is not feed it for a few days and have the bottle in the tank so that the fish will get used to it. The bottle has been cut and the top of it has been inverted so it makes the escape more comlicated for the fish. You put brine shrimp inside or a piece of shrimp and wait. When the fish goes in you quickly take it out of the tank, hopefully with the fish still in it. Ingenious whoever thought of it.
Jodilynn:happy:

grandmarm

any idea how long the damels live?
we have one blue damsel-yellow tail in tank, just bought one
clown fish. perc. clown (nemo)
The blue damsel is going after the clown. Don't really want to get rid of damsel. We also have a lot of rock in tank, hate to take rock out to catch the damel.
any suggestions?

bang guy

Originally posted by grandmarm
any idea how long the damels live?
we have one blue damsel-yellow tail in tank, just bought one
clown fish. perc. clown (nemo)

The Blue Damsel can live 15+ years and the Clownfish can live 25+ years.

grandmarm

thanks. Did not think the damsel lived so long. It thinks the tank belongs to him or her.
Right now the clown is hiding by the filter, don't know if it will make it. Every time the clown moves the damsel is right behind it. Don't know what to do.

mary

I feel for you. I tried catching a six line wrasse for months and each time it meant removing rocks and corals. A nightmare. It was responsible for killing or trying to kill three different new fishes I wanted. Two gobies, and a blenny. Returned two of them to the LFS where they thrived and found new homes. Eventually on my last try, I had LFS come and help catch the six-line. Had the entirity of the tank in barrels just to get the rogue wrasse out. The young man took out the last very large rock which meant lifting the hood. I can't lift it on my own, and out jumped the wrasse into the barrel from the rock! If I didn't absolutely love this tank never would have put up with all this. But, the removal of that fish has made for a wonderfull cohesive happy tank and just had my clarkiis produce a mass of beautiful pink eggs. Maybe a couple might survive. Getting your blue damsel out would be the best thing for you and your tank. They are the cheaper of your fish I would think. I love clowns so have a special place in my heart for them. Be very careful when purchasing fish. I am inclined to believe reef safe means if it is entirely alone! I have replaced my wrasse with a lovely red wrasse which stays very small and is very peaceful. It is really flourescent coral colored, but called red. :mad:

lesleybird

I was thinking that one could catch a mean fish by getting a pvc pipe at the hardware store and having a cap off on one side. Leave it in the tank for a few days and when the fish is chased into it you could put a net over the opening and remove the whole thing. I also have a nasty 6 line but have found some fish he cannot bully. He has killed a royal gamma and another beautiful wrasse in the past. He now lives in my 90 gallon with a much larger wrasse, a 6 inch majestic angel, a new pair of true percula clowns, and a bicolor blenny. This is all I am going to put in there as the majestic angelfish will not tolerate any other big fish. He is king of the tank! Lesley

mary

Lesley,I have tried that method yet that does not mean it won't work for certain other fish. They seem to be wary of anything that stops the familiar current and looks different. I left it in for days, and they still went around it even with fresh shrimp attached to the glued end net. {I made a trap} But, who's to say it won't work for someone else. I also have a bi-tailed blenny and love it. So many have told me that they are not reef safe but have had no problems at all. Try anything before taking the whole tank apart.

scott9311

Balistidae... You may try moving the LR around in your tank when you decide to put your clown back in. This should disrupt any perceived territory the damsel has claimed and put them both on equal footing in finding a new home.

unleashed

um dont know if you realise this or not but your clown is also a damsel they will have to given equal space both are territorial

grandmarm

don't have to worry about the damsel and the clown -the clown just died.
getting the damsel out of the tank starting over I like the clown better than the damsel.
any thoughts about clowns over the blue damsel?