Blue Hippo Tang with ick

squirreloso

1journeyman said:
The point is, walk into several pet stores and you'll see ich. I worked for a Wholesaler (for 3 days... it was a "killing field" and I refused to be a part of it) and saw Ich everywhere.
QUOTE]
you have some pretty bad lfs near you

i have about 7 lfs within an hour of me. out of all of them only ***** was the one that showed fish with ich, and that is not surprising. the fish are stressed to the max and kept in dirty tanks.
im about 40 mins from that pet place. i asked them if they treat with copper, the worker said they do occasionally when needed and they also qt all new arrivals

1journeyman

I do have some lousy LFS. No question. Of course I've also seen ich in the store responsible for maintaining tanks of the upper society of Dallas.
If your LFS actually properly QTs all arrivals you have a great store. I'm very jealous.

squirreloso

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
I do have some lousy LFS. No question. Of course I've also seen ich in the store responsible for maintaining tanks of the upper society of Dallas.
If your LFS actually properly QTs all arrivals you have a great store. I'm very jealous.
A few online sites also QT before being put up for sale. I know i cant mention the sites here though

I wonder if SWF qt's?

1journeyman

I'd be interested in seeing the online sites facilities that QT as well.
Many lfs advertise "qt" when in reality all they have are holding tanks. The cost, space needed, and additional labor make running seperate QT tanks virtually impossible for most LFS.
Not sure how SWF handles QT. Again, however, I suspect none of the online retailers truly practice QT.

squirreloso

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
I'd be interested in seeing the online sites facilities that QT as well.
Many lfs advertise "qt" when in reality all they have are holding tanks. The cost, space needed, and additional labor make running seperate QT tanks virtually impossible for most LFS.
Not sure how SWF handles QT. Again, however, I suspect none of the online retailers truly practice QT.
according to fosters, they truly qt and treat every specimen that steps in their facility. although i have gotten a ton of zoas from them in their divers den section that were loaded with pyramid snails. it wasnt just on one occasion either. so who knows what they actually do

1boatnut

Originally Posted by Waterlogged
If everyone took a glass of water from their DT to a lab would they all have ich?
I didn't think people got Ich

squirreloso

LOL
then i must have ich because i cant even tell you how many times i got tank water in my mouth from sucking on that dang siphon during a water change

im surprised im still alive

waterlogged

Originally Posted by squirreloso
LOL
then i must have ich because i cant even tell you how many times i got tank water in my mouth from sucking on that dang siphon during a water change

im surprised im still alive

If you have a plain jane gravel vac you can start a siphon without putting your mouth on it.

squirreloso

Originally Posted by Waterlogged
If you have a plain jane gravel vac you can start a siphon without putting your mouth on it.
i took the gravel vac part off and i just use the hose. the tanks with the maxijets i just hold it up and it starts the siphon, but on the tanks with the koralias i cant do that, so its up to me to get it going :(
i guess its no different that getting beach water in yer mouth.
the worst, and probably the dirtiest, is when i got turtle water in my mouth

sepulatian

Originally Posted by rudedog40
LOL. Every post I read on ich, you're the first one that pops up with the same exact questions - "What are you water parameters? You say they are perfect, but we need to SEE what they are." "Go to the Disease forum and read the ich post. Get all your fish in a QT immediately and start hypo."
If someone says all their chemical levels are normal, 99% of the time they understand that means that their ammonia, nitrate, and nitrites are at zero. You treat some of the posters on this board as if they were children and don't understand how to do a simple chemical test.
You are the leader of the 'pro hypo' crusade. You encourage every single person who posts about an ich problem to start hypo immediately. However, I can recall reading numerous posts on people who did hypo, and they come back three or four weeks later saying "My fish still have ich." You place blame on them for not doing the hypo procedure properly, then either have them try it again, or lead them to copper treatment, which seems to be a risky procedure from what I've read about copper. Sorry, but doing hypo and copper may be the defacto procedure for curing ich, but it seems that unless you follow the procedure to a tee, it's just as useless as trying to treat the ich with meds. You all scoff, and say it's nothing to keep the salinity at 1.009 for 3 weeks. Well with the number of failed hypos I've read in the last couple of months, apparently it's not as easy for some people as it is for you. And copper? Don't follow that treatment exactly, and your fish are dead.
Right now, it's been over two months since I treated my blue hippo for ich with Ich Attack and garlic. He's growing every day, and is the first to come to the front of the tank when I show up with food. I've added three other fish since he had ich, and not one of them has had any ich symptoms. If I'm still in this hobby 10 months from now, you'll be the first to know whether I've had any other ich breakouts.
There is a reason that I ask the questions that I do. RD, I am not going to fight with you over this. You see things your way and I have been helping people for awhile and will continue to do so. I do hope that things work out for you, but if they don't then I will be happy to help you as well.

rudedog40

Originally Posted by 1boatnut
Interesting read :
This link is not a link that is in competition
http://joejaworski.wordpress.com/200...-ich-epidemic/

It's pretty much the same information gathered from all the other sources on ich. It's well formulated and brings up all the major points any other document has stated about ich. However, this looks like some blog from an old time saltwater aquarist that's just regurgitating the same information from all the other articles on ich. Doesn't say what his credentials are or where he got his information. Either case, just take the advise of an old Fleetwood Mac song, "You Can Go Your Own Way"....

1boatnut

However, this looks like some blog from an old time saltwater aquarist that's just regurgitating the same information from all the other articles on ich.
Sorta like this thread..

Either case, just take the advise of an old Fleetwood Mac song, "You Can Go Your Own Way"....

Usually I do,
but with an open mind

mckaax

So what do you do when you get a new coral. When you put it in the Qt will it die if you do not have adequate light?

rudedog40

Originally Posted by mckaax
So what do you do when you get a new coral. When you put it in the Qt will it die if you do not have adequate light?

I would say that unless you have the recommended lighting for the species of coral you are QTing, it will most likely have harmful effects, if not kill it, because it didn't have the light it needed during the typical 3-4 week QT period.

mcbdz

Originally Posted by squirreloso
i took the gravel vac part off and i just use the hose. the tanks with the maxijets i just hold it up and it starts the siphon, but on the tanks with the koralias i cant do that, so its up to me to get it going :(
i guess its no different that getting beach water in yer mouth.
the worst, and probably the dirtiest, is when i got turtle water in my mouth

You do know all you have to do is put the entire hose( I curl mine up) under the water, get the air out, put your fingers over the end and pull the end out letting it flow into your bucket. As long as it is lower then waqter level it syphens.
No nasty water in the mouth.

mcbdz

Originally Posted by mckaax
Dip your corals and observe for a few days. It dosen't take very long to see the parisites they have and usually the dip takes care of them.

waterlogged

Originally Posted by mcbdz
You do know all you have to do is put the entire hose( I curl mine up) under the water, get the air out, put your fingers over the end and pull the end out letting it flow into your bucket. As long as it is lower then waqter level it syphens.
No nasty water in the mouth.

Yep. And if you leave the bell end on it is even easier.

mckaax

Originally Posted by mcbdz
Dip your corals and observe for a few days. It dosen't take very long to see the parisites they have and usually the dip takes care of them.

Dip them in what?