blue hippo tang???

my lfs is having a sale on blue hippos for $15.00, and i think it is a deal i should not pass up. on the swf web site, it says that a min. of a 40 gal tank, but on the larger hippo its says 90, i was woundering if i bought one how long till i would have to take him out??????
it also says that they are coral safe i guess that would also mean my shrooms and zoos????
any advice would be great..

quakstar

I have mine in a 72 and i know you cann't tell if a fish is happy but he seems well adjusted and comfortable in his home with no stress marks or anything and mine is in my reef tank and does not mess with a thing so no i would not pass one up at you lfs for 15 dollars that is an amazing deal

ophiura

Small blue tangs have a poor survival rate, and are highly prone to ick. If you are willing to take the risk...
But the tank is not suitable long term. Tangs also need a very mature tank, and established live rock. Not a fish to buy just because of the price really.

nicetry

Originally Posted by goober_hunter
55 gal
2 clowns
2 cromies
1 yellow headed jaw fish
1 scooter bleeny
1 cherib angel..
That's actually a very nice stocking level for a 55.

scotty37

Agreed on the stocking level. I was at about the same point 8 months ago and I walked in and saw tiny tiny blue hippos, about the size of a nickel... and I was fairly new to the trade at that point. I picked out one that I liked for 20 bucks. The guy told me it was highly unlikely that it lived. It got ick almost immediately, but I bought a neon goby that took care of it instantly and all has been fine since. My tank is 55 and the hippo is gorgeous, probably the best looking one for its size I have ever seen. I am moving it into a 120 in the next few months, but that is one decision I will never forget. I am very attached to that fish since I had it from such a small size. It literally fit into the corner of the plastic bag.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by ophiura
Small blue tangs have a poor survival rate, and are highly prone to ick. If you are willing to take the risk...
But the tank is not suitable long term. Tangs also need a very mature tank, and established live rock. Not a fish to buy just because of the price really.
My thoughts exactly!

okay thanks .. i can do with out one.. i really appreciate all the help guys,
yeah i figured i would ask around before jumping into the buy... again thanks......

masta man

Okay, Tang Police I come in peace.
I'm scared

My regal tang is only 4 inches long and I have had him for a year . The people I got the tank from had him for half a year so I don't think that he will grow anymore. I have him in a 150 with 80lbs LR He is fine and strong. I think that a 55 would be cutting it very close, but if you clean the tank exceptionally and the tang is the only fish in the tank he would be okay. I think that I have a smaller version because I see the huge 9 inch ones and shudder at the behemoths. It would be close but possible. Here is my regal tang, Sulvester.

ophiura

It is not a "small one" but has likely been stunted due to tank or diet in the past.. Your tank, IMO, is fine, and I suspect with a good diet and a large tank it will put on size with time.

soldier0117

A tang for $15 is great! I would get it in a heartbeat. Besides you can keep a tang in a smaller tank as long as you keep an eye on him and make sure he doesn't become stressed. I have my Tang in a 15 right now and he is happy. But he is moving top a 55 really soon. Now I'll bet someone is going to say tangs can't be in 55s. Well they can, because a friend of mine with 25 years experience kept a blue tang in 55 and he lived for 13 YEARS!!! He was always happy and loved to be fed and watched. Thats proof that it can be done right there. Also tangs can get big but they will adapt to the size tank they are in to a degree. His tang didn't get that big because the tank was smaller but like I said he did just fine for 13 years.
P.S. The guy who did this used only a UGF, a few small pieces of live rock and didn't even protein skim!

S

surfinusa

Originally Posted by Soldier0117
A tang for $15 is great! I would get it in a heartbeat. Besides you can keep a tang in a smaller tank as long as you keep an eye on him and make sure he doesn't become stressed. I have my Tang in a 15 right now and he is happy. But he is moving top a 55 really soon. Now I'll bet someone is going to say tangs can't be in 55s. Well they can, because a friend of mine with 25 years experience kept a blue tang in 55 and he lived for 13 YEARS!!! He was always happy and loved to be fed and watched. Thats proof that it can be done right there. Also tangs can get big but they will adapt to the size tank they are in to a degree. His tang didn't get that big because the tank was smaller but like I said he did just fine for 13 years.
P.S. The guy who did this used only a UGF, a few small pieces of live rock and didn't even protein skim!
This is all very bad advice.

brandon7491

i would not do it number 1 they say they are selling for $15. that right there is enought to turn me off because with tangs here is the thing, there is a fine line between the cheep tangs and expensive ones. you never want to buy a cheep specimen ever ever. but i mean its all up to you 55 sure it will live but when do you plan to upgrade? everyone says ill go from a 55 to a 125 in a couple of months and they never do. its all up to you, i personally would not do it but thts just me

yeah i decided to go with some frogspawn anyways........ i think putting a blue hippo into my tank would not be a great anyway after reading some of the posts..
thanks for the help everyone..................