Blue Ribbon Eel

goingpoor

ok im getting a juvanil blue ribbon eel on thursday .im really excited i ran pvc piping under sand for him..but i have a ? can you keep two in the same tank.

joojoo

Lol no, store names are fine. I loved E&A when they first opened, they've gotten really dirty lately, ever since they moved. Maybe I'll get there before you and sneak a peak at him... or buy him first :b

goingpoor

Originally Posted by joojoo
Lol no, store names are fine. I loved E&A when they first opened, they've gotten really dirty lately, ever since they moved. Maybe I'll get there before you and sneak a peak at him... or buy him first :b

good luck jeff ordered him just for me lol,but you can try if you wont,there will be two there ,and he only got me in one but was planning on buying both of them if i can have them in same tank : )
P.S i'll share if you wont one i'll leave the other one there for you

joojoo

Lol cool, how much do those go for? I've seen multiple eels kept together, but I don't know the specifics on BRE, I doubt anyone does. Make sure it is black and eating (if possible) when you buy them... black is the juvie color.

joojoo

Originally Posted by goingpoor
good luck jeff ordered him just for me lol,but you can try if you wont,there will be two there ,and he only got me in one but was planning on buying both of them if i can have them in same tank : )
P.S i'll share if you wont one i'll leave the other one there for you

I'm not quite ready to take such a dive. I don't think he would last long in my topless 20 gallon, but thanks for offering! lol

goingpoor

ya i know that much but isnt it a gamble on anything you buy saltwater lol thats why i wonted juvanile that maybe i had a better chance...and i think the price is 70 $.......... he didnt know for sure yet

michaeltx

nice tank!!
yes you can say store names just no linking to there online site.
on the ribbon eels I wouldnt get 2 in fact if it were me I wouldnt get one. There real fincky eaters and most slowly starve in the home tanks. They are real hard to get to eat and need prstine water conditions to have a chance of survival.
Mike

michaeltx

O yeah and if you get a blue ribbin eel its ful grown because if I remember correctly the ribbon eels start out black as juvies. I will check and see though
Mike

michaeltx

The Black Ribbon Eel seen above is a juvenile. The Blue Ribbon Eel is bright blue with a yellow mouth and is the adult color of a mature male black ribbon eel. A female Ribbon Eel is yellow.
We do not recommend them for most aquarists!
These are probably the hardest eel to keep since they can be finicky eaters, often refusing food.The Ribbon Eel, Black Ribbon Eel, Blue Ribbon Eel should only be kept by very experience marine enthusiats as they are extremely difficult to acclimate to captivity. We have had success with only one! Getting it started on ghost shrimp and then guppies.
Maintenance difficulty:
The Ribbon Eel, Black Ribbon Eel, Blue Ribbon Eel is very difficult to keep. They are so difficult to keep, they are better left in the ocean! They are finicky eaters that need a lot of work to get to eat. Try all kinds of seafood, squid, shrimp, krill, and live food like guppies. They will also eat ghost shrimp if they are available.
Maintenance:
Feed all kinds of live fish and meaty foods. Use a poker if necessary at first to place the food right in front of their mouth. Don't worry if it doesn't eat for a while at first, they can go for several weeks without food (and often do).
Habitat: Natural geographic location:
Found in the Indo-Pacific.
Foods:
They feed mainly on small fishes in the wild with an occasional invertebrate.
Social Behaviors:
Sociable and peaceful, can be considered a community fish as long as the tankmates are not small enough to eat! Since its' mouth is fairly small, it is probably one of the best eels for the community aquarium.
---: Sexual differences:
The juvenile is black, like the eel shown in the picture. As they mature, the black will turn blue with the tips of the mouth and inside the mouth turning yellow. Apparently they will grow larger to become fully grown females which are a golden yellow color.
Breeding/Reproduction:
Probably not possible in the aquarium.
Several freshwater species of eels are known to lay their eggs in the ocean and die afterwards.
Light: Recommended light levels:
No special requirements.
Temperature:
No special requirements. Normal temperatures for marine fish is between 74 and 79 degrees Fahrenheit.
Length/Diameter of fish:
Ribbon Eel, Black Ribbon Eel, Blue Ribbon Eel adults can grow to 100 cm (36 inches).
Minimum Tank Length/Size:
A minimum 60 gallon aquarium is recommended.
Water Movement: Weak, Moderate, Strong
No special requirements.
Water Region: Top, Middle, Bottom
Will generally stay in the bottom. Will bury themselves in the gravel with only their heads sticking out.
here is some more info on them.
HTH
Mike

sepulatian

They are extremely hard to keep. Even experts have difficulty. Some aquarists report 6 months of them doing well in captivity, that does not mean that they will do well for long. Please do not buy this fish, they are one of the many species that are best left in the ocean lest they starve to death in a tank.

goingpoor

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
O yeah and if you get a blue ribbin eel its ful grown because if I remember correctly the ribbon eels start out black as juvies. I will check and see though
Mike
I AM GETTING THE BLACK RIBBON EEL,BECAUSE OF IT BEING JUVINIL..AND I HAVE AND ALREADY KNOW ALL THAT I HAVE TO LOOK FORWARD IN GETTING ONE,THATS WHY IM PREPARING MYSELF KNOW BEFORE I GET HIM,AND AS I SEE IT KNOW IF I DONT BUY HIM SOMEONE ELSE WILL AND THEY PROBABLY WONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT IT AND IT WOULDNT HAVE A CHANCE AT ALL,SORRY TO HAVE MADE
YOU ALL MADE AT ME BECAUSE OF GETTING THE RIBBON EEL,BUT IF IT DOESNT WORK OUT WHAT KINDA EEL WOULD YOU SEGEST FOR A REEF SETUP?????

jessi p

Originally Posted by goingpoor
IF I DONT BUY HIM SOMEONE ELSE WILL
But I thought you said he ordered it just for you?

goingpoor

Originally Posted by Jessi P
But I thought you said he ordered it just for you?
he did but if i tell him i dont wont him he will sell it to who ever

joojoo

I'd say it's almost your obligation to take these eels now. Like you said, if you don't adopt them, someone else with a 20 gallon tank will. I was pretty sure you researched these guys before ordering, so I didn't want to sound too cocky, and most of these people on here are just trying to look out for the animals sold in our hobby, but if the order is already placed, I don't think they should be so negative about your keeping it, the deed is done, so to speak. I wish you the best of luck with your eel, and def keep us posted with lots and lots of pics ^_^.

madwabbit

We arent discouraging you, just letting you know that you've got your work cut out for you. Some fish are fairly easy to take care of, and some are very difficult to take care of. Think of it like this:
Freshwater Goldfish..................................................SW Blue ribbon eel
<

[hr]
>
1............................................ 5............................................10
Just lettin ya know- hes not an easy keeper. Water quality must be pristine, and feeding him is going to be a chore. Enjoy your new pet, and keep us updated with pics!!

michaeltx

not mad at you at all. Just letting you know what the survival rate on these guys are. We are all going to make mistakes in this hobby without fail. Or go by what an LFS says or that one person that has had some success with something and not see the negative of the other 100 people that tried it and it did go so good.
I would like to suggest something to keep in mind for future purchases since you are a member here ask about aompatibility and info on the species that you are wanting. You will get more of a real life experience result than at the LFS'.
But like I said no one is mad at you at all. You might actually be one of the sucessful people that keeps one alive long term, keep a diary of from the day you get him so that you can add your experience with this eel in the future to help someone else out.
If this eel doesnt work is it a reef or a Fish only tank?
Mike

sharkboy13

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
If this eel doesnt work is it a reef or a Fish only tank?
Mike
looks like a reef, cool beans, good luck getting him to eat, thats the key