Blue Ring Octopus

billyocean

A buddy and I just picked up a pair of blue ring octopus. Before you all start lecturing me about how dangerous they are, I know. And yes i know its crazy to keep one in a tank. Purpose of the post is to see if anybody has kept one? and what specs they will survive in? any advice besides getting rid of it?

aw2x3

When you say you know how crazy it is, are you talking about how you know there's no antivenom to their neurotoxin, you have a 99% of being dead in less than 20 minutes, after a bite and when bitten, you're also injected with an anisthetic, so that you have no idea you've even been bitten?
If you know all that, then good. Hopefully, you're not keeping these in a residence where there are children present.
As with any octo, they need a species only tank, absolutely pristine water conditions and an over sized skimmer on the tank...as well as having the tank 150% escape proof.
Also, they're not always yellow, with the blue rings. Most people want them for that reason only. 99% of the time, they're tan/beige/brown or grey. The only time they change colors/the rings show up is when they're aggitated.

maine_guy5

I had an octopus a long time ago, i had it for 1 to 2 years in a tank all by itself fed it goldfish. make sure the tank is all secure cause they will find a way out.the main problem is you cant do a lot with the tank as far as clean it a litle bit keep a good eye on the tank temp, and do your tests. good luck let me know how you make out with them.
Pete

watson3

Originally Posted by AW2x3
When you say you know how crazy it is, are you talking about how you know there's no antivenom to their neurotoxin, you have a 99% of being dead in less than 20 minutes, after a bite and when bitten, you're also injected with an anisthetic, so that you have no idea you've even been bitten?
Has this been proven, and if so how?

darknes

I don't know if the death rate is 99%, but if nobody is around to help you it might be. The bite is painless, and within minutes you will be blind and paralyzed. The only way to treat is artificial respiration and heart massage for 24 hours.
Blue Ring Octopus
I'm not even going to attempt to assist this person in keeping the octopus because they should not be kept in aquariums.

watson3

"Although the painless bite can kill an adult, injuries have only occurred when an octopus has been picked out of its pool and provoked or stepped on."
Stingrays also kill, but are kept.. Correct? Not taking up, just discussing that many poisonous, dangerous things are kept..What about people that keep snakes?

darknes

Originally Posted by watson3
"Although the painless bite can kill an adult, injuries have only occurred when an octopus has been picked out of its pool and provoked or stepped on."
Stingrays also kill, but are kept.. Correct? Not taking up, just discussing that many poisonous, dangerous things are kept..What about people that keep snakes?
That's not really a good comparison. Stingrays pose little threat in the home aquarium; If you are referring to Steve Irwin, it was a freak accident, and he was stabbed in the chest....not likely to happen in an aquarium. Some snakes should not be kept at home as well. I remember reading a week ago that someone was killed by their pet boa...and I don't think many people keep the deadly snakes.
There are other reasons not to keep a blue ring:
Reasons

whitetip*09

It has been proven, the only known thing to keep a person alive is to open up the persons chest and manually mesage his heart and lungs. as allready said there is NO known antivenom.

greenwolf52

i think we can all agree that some things should just be left alone. not everything makes a great pet. most things can be tolerated and dealt with under certain circumstances, but come on. what's the point in this? i don't know much about the creature(blue ring) but it sure sounds dangerous from what i've read. i just hope you are careful. at this point, you may as well keep it as long as you can. not like you can just take it back to the damn reef and drop it off.
be careful!

the j.o.p.

Originally Posted by Whitetip*09
It has been proven, the only known thing to keep a person alive is to open up the persons chest and manually mesage his heart and lungs. as allready said there is NO known antivenom.
this is correct you have like 2 min. before your body goes into shock. good luck!!

1journeyman

Originally Posted by watson3
The last statistic I read said that over 1500 people a year are injured by Stingrays every year. There are a grand total of less than 20 fatalities known ever
from a stingray injury.
That is not a good comparison...

ice4ice

Get rid of the Blue ring Octopus. You have just signed your death warrant if you don't. I've watched Discovery Channel, Animal Planet and they had segemnts on those octopus and believe me - they are best kept in the wild. Absolutely no antivenom known.
I have to agree with journeyman in his response. There is no comparison between the blue ring octopus and stingrays, pet snakes, etc ...

watson3

Originally Posted by Ice4Ice
I have to agree with journeyman in his response. There is no comparison between the blue ring octopus and stingrays, pet snakes, etc ...
How many people die from this thing each year?

billyocean

good input. i know it should be kept in the wild...but so should everything else we put in our tanks. and i dont plan to put my hand in the tank anytime soon. the statistics about the bite and death are pretty scary, but so is oakland, california and i have a better chance getting killed there. haha thanks everyone!

superh

Originally Posted by billyocean
A buddy and I just picked up a pair of blue ring octopus. Before you all start lecturing me about how dangerous they are, I know. And yes i know its crazy to keep one in a tank. Purpose of the post is to see if anybody has kept one? and what specs they will survive in? any advice besides getting rid of it?
lol...your post is nothing more than a brag/attention grabber or just trolling. How else do you go through the trouble to get a blue ring octo and then ask silly noob questions like what does the water need to be at and how to keep it. Gimme a break.