Blue Spotted Jawfish Behavior

blutang

I was wondering if its normal for my blue spotted jawfish to stay under it's rock all the time and only come out to feed? Its this regular behavior?

jonthefb

They will come out from time to time once they get settled but they will spend the most part of their time maintaining and excavating their tunnels! they are such a cool fish congratulations on your purchase
BTW, what are you feeding yours?
jon

blutang

I feed it brine and mysis shrimp, and also put some freeze dried krill in the entrance to his tunnel for him. When they dig their tunnels, will they dig just under rocks or will they make tunnels in the subtrate everywhere.

jawfish177

jawfishes normally dig under rocks so make sure the rock is well established... they also sometimes dig out in the open... our yellowhead digged his burrow beside a rock... his burrow is probably not that big, just enough for him to maneuver... i don't think that they make a tunnel under your substrate as this will not be very stable... our yellowhead usually spends the day hovering up and down his burrow just waiting for food to come by... we feed formula 1 frozen, myssis shrimps, flakes, and sometimes live brine shrimps...

blutang

Yeah thats cool....I definitley think this is one of my favorite fish I own, beside the Flame Hawk of course.

reef aquaria

We have a male and a female blue spotjawfish. They moved around the first month building a burrow, staying there for a week, and then moving. They have been in the same spot for a month now, with the exception of the female, she moved her hole 1" closer to the male last week. They come out of their burrows doing a mating dance, or to grab food floating by.

jawfish177

ours just committed suicide... i have no idea how he was able to find a small crevice to jumped out... man, that fish was precious... i'll prolly try another one later... right now, i'm just too disappointed.... :mad:

shel

I had one jump from my tank, I have no idea how it jumped, I had it covered and everything. I am thinking of trying another one. Sorry for your loss.