Blue tang just went nuts on Bangai cardinal

elvictre

I added 3 bangai cardinals over a week ago and they all seemed fine until just now. My Blue tang just ripped ones fins off right in front of my eyes. The poor little guy is hanging form a tread. What should I do?
Vic

jer4916

remove the cards, and spank the tang....lol
put the cards someplace else... tank obviously is pissed about something..and will kill them
~Chris

promisetbg

That is odd,what size tank is this?
I would recommend setting up a QT to heal the fish,then perhaps your LFS will take him back after he is well.Care will have to be taken for the cardinal,and he may develop a bacterial infection...keep an eye on him.You may also have to remove the other two.

nm reef

Originally Posted by promisetbg
That is odd,what size tank is this?
That was amoung my first thoughts also...along with "how large is the tang?"..."how long has the tang been in this aquarium?"
Really strange for a tang to attack and harm another species...but I suppose under stressful conditions anything could happen.....
I'd remove the cardinals and return them if possible. The injuried one may be lost....but it may be possible to save it.

elvictre

Thanks for the response guys. The tank is 75 gallons. The tang has been in there since I started my tank almost 2 years ago. But I always move stuff around when I add a fish. For some reason this one bangai didn't stay with the other 2, it always hung out on the other side of the tank and the other 2 turn everywhere together. Unfortunately he didn't make it much longer after I posted. He was so weak he got stuck on a powerhead and there was no way to save him. He had no fins left. As much as I hated it I put him out of his misery so not to let him suffer. The tang then went about him business and left the other 2 alone. This happened one time in the past also when I tried to add black mollies that were already acclimated for saltwater. I figured them to do a job on hair algae and the tang tore them apart in seconds.
Vic

bang guy

Originally Posted by NM reef
That was amoung my first thoughts also...along with "how large is the tang?"..."how long has the tang been in this aquarium?"

My thought as well. a 75 doesn't give the Tang enough swimming space. Most animals exhibit non-standard behaviour when cramped up like that.

elvictre

I guess. I bought the tang pretty small but it has grown significantly since. It has to be about 5 to 6 inches. Should I pull the other cardinals and sell them to a LFS (I bought them online). I also will add that as it was happening my 2 purple fire fish were out and about swimming around instead of hiding under a rock like they have done for the past 2 weeks since I got them. SO maybe he was feeling confined when he noticed more fish and attacked the weakest one.
It's just a guess. I was also thinking about the black coloration being a factor since he attack and killed the mollies on the past.
Vic

bang guy

My suggestion would be to sell the injured Cardinal and the Hippo back to the store. If one of the Cards is a male then three Banggai isn't going to work long term.

elvictre

The injured cardinal didn't make it. I stated in my earlier post that I had to put him out of his misery. He had no fins left and he then got stuck on a powerhead. I now have only the 2. Also I have the tang for years and the family wont go for him going back to the store. Should I sell back the other cardinals? Do you think they are at risk?
Vic