Blueberry gorgonian, happy little guy :)

aquaknight

Originally Posted by novahobbies
http:///forum/post/3185699
Honestly I thought that was a red and a yellow gorg right next to one another, a little intertwined!
It is. But the left stalk of the yellow gorg (there's only the stump left) and branches all over the sand bring back images of my failed non-photo gorg attempts...

spanko

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/3185782
It is. But the left stalk of the yellow gorg (there's only the stump left) and branches all over the sand bring back images of my failed non-photo gorg attempts...
+1

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
http:///forum/post/3185622
not to sound cynical, but 3 months is hardly a success. I can see your doing the best you can for it. I dont however think it is going to pan out in the long run. I hope I am wrong.
The longest success stories I have seen with those particular gorgonians are in species specific tanks with constant phyto drips. and even then they tend to die, often from algal growth and theoreticly starvation. unfortunatly it seems keeping ample food in the tank in your average reef is nearly impossible, your being in the light may eventually become a problem with algal growth. even with spot feeding it only seems to slow the demise not halt it. I would have to point out that if your having trouble with your other gorgonian (which is easier to keep alive) I think your going to run into trouble in the long run.
best of luck keeping that beautiful gorgonian alive

Yes, this is true, of course 3 months isn't considered a long term success, but 3 mos for any gorgonian is great, esp this blueberry gorgonian. I have changed everything I do to feed/take care of this little guy since I got the yellow gorgonian on the bottom left, which is now blooming again and growing back out. I just left the branches there since they seem to be turning around. The red gorgonian is abloom and eating well too. This shows me that what I'm doing for the blueberry is helping the others. Even if what I am doing is only slowing down the failure of the blueberry, as of now, it's branches are growing every day!
Cranberry, you are right, Iv'e learned so much in the past 3 months keeping it alive! Thank you.

fretfreak13

STUNNING! =O I love your tank! The gorg is beautiful, saw one at my LFS the other day, but it looked like it got hit with a train. I really want one! In your first post, whats the second coral from the bottom? The orange and white one?

cranberry

Remember to take into consideration all the feeding they are doing. You can't just put one in your tank and think they will do good. You have to be willing to do just as much as the OP as far as feeding and water quality and (IMO) willing to try to do a few different things to keep them alive. I feel that is our responsibility when taking on proven difficult species, we have to do just as much as the person who tried before us and add a few more things to try and unlock the secrets. Otherwise it's a wasted life.

soviettaco

Stunningly beautiful, congratulations. I saw one at my LFS last week but spot feeding three times a day doesn't fit my schedule.... for now
Oh and beautiful tank!!!

Originally Posted by Fretfreak13
http:///forum/post/3186818
STUNNING! =O I love your tank! The gorg is beautiful, saw one at my LFS the other day, but it looked like it got hit with a train. I really want one! In your first post, whats the second coral from the bottom? The orange and white one?
Thank you
I enjoy the hell out of it! That is a montipora digitata, SPS.. not as bright as it could be right now but it's getting better!

Hi again! Well it's benn 4 months and I have continued doing my 3 spotfeedings a day which seems to be perfect as of now. The branches are lengthening and polyps are now all on the actually base, which is growing over the epoxy I stuck it down with. I added another Coralia nano to the front of the tank glass so that the gorgonian gets adequate flow on the left as well. The back coralia is on nonstop, while the other two are on 20 second intervals. I had to trim back (is 6" a trim?) the red macroalgae, which is now growing back. We (my guy and I) glued the pieces onto crushed coral and now that is growing. We brought a couple frags of it up to my guy's LFS that he helps run and it went fast. Probably gonna have to move my female leopard wrasse to his 40 gallon breeder pretty soon since she's getting fat! All that feeding and eating.. she needs to get a job. Happy holidays a little late.