blueface angel

guineawhop

anybody have a blueface angel. i just got one and it hides a lot. is this normal. just wondering if they continue to be like this or not.

dogstar

LFS here has a 10 in. BF and a 6 in. covict tang in a 200g. and thats all thats in the tank with LR. The angel stays in its favarite hole and comes out to feed and chase the tang away and goes back in and just looks out watching. It come out to chase away ppl. if they stay looking to long. Very beutiful fish though.

nicetry

Mine was very retiring. Hid much of the time. Seemed to be out more when no one was near the tank, but dove for cover if even the least bit spooked. Nice fish but not very outgoing, unless, as stated, he was chasing someone away from his spot.

nicetry

Originally Posted by guineawhop
how do i know if he's eating then, i saw him eat once and that was it
Mine ate like a pig. Would even take nori from my hand. I hardly saw the fish for the first three months I had it. Just stayed behind some rocks. THey get a bit bolder in time but they are pretty much a shy species. Mine ate like a pig and would come out to eat with the others. He was just very skittish at most of the time.

cougar

It all depends on the certain fish. I have a gray angel and a koran, the koran doesn't like being seen, but the gray is always up at the glass, will follow me around. The two get along, if anything the koran is aggressive towards the gray, but runs scared from me.

guineawhop

i would like to announce that my blueface has started eating and even swims around the tank more now instead of hiding behind the rocks. also this weekend i moved a few miles away and when i had to move my tanks i took about 25% of the water out. now a day or so before i moved i wanted to see if the blueface was still alive because i had not seen it and when i lifted the rock i noticed that he was covered in ick. after the move and everything was situated i looked into the tank and i had to do a double take. the fish had no ick whatsoever and was even more gorgeous than before. it may or may not have been the water change, but you would think that a move would stress it out even more. also i noticed lastnight that he is starting to change into his adult color.

howieumd

I've had a Blue Face for about 3 months now, in my 72 gallon. It's doing great. For about 2 weeks, it would never come out of the rocks, except during feeding, than it'd dart back in. Over the past 2 months, it's my most active fish, and gets along fine with everything, except for the Bangaii Cardinal that I recently got. It occassionally chases it, but not that bad. It's about 5 1/2 inches right now. I would never mix angels, in a 72, but in 3 weeks, my 240 gallon tank will be ready, which is where the Blue Face is going. I'd love to get another of the larger angels. In a tank that size, will 2, or even 3, of the larger angels be able to co-exist together? I'm trying to decide between a Queen, Emperor, or Annularis. If I can pick 2 more out of those 3, than even better.

guineawhop

Originally Posted by HowieUMD
I've had a Blue Face for about 3 months now, in my 72 gallon. It's doing great. For about 2 weeks, it would never come out of the rocks, except during feeding, than it'd dart back in. Over the past 2 months, it's my most active fish, and gets along fine with everything, except for the Bangaii Cardinal that I recently got. It occassionally chases it, but not that bad. It's about 5 1/2 inches right now. I would never mix angels, in a 72, but in 3 weeks, my 240 gallon tank will be ready, which is where the Blue Face is going. I'd love to get another of the larger angels. In a tank that size, will 2, or even 3, of the larger angels be able to co-exist together? I'm trying to decide between a Queen, Emperor, or Annularis. If I can pick 2 more out of those 3, than even better.
if you do mix angels, have lots of hiding places, so they can make their territories. be careful though because they may or may not get along. i do know someone with a 240 and he has a koran, emperor, coral beauty, eibli, and majestic and they all do fine. they are all about the 7 inch range. the only problem that might occur is when they mature they become more aggressive.