Box fish toxins

k-dawg

yeah I've tried all that stuff. Still not working. And now it's not even pecking at the rocks anymore and is looking very skinny.

kev

Kdawg,
Have you tried feeding blood worms? I got one not too long ago and it didnt eat untill I tried giving it blood worms. As soon as I put them in he went nuts over them and has been eating like crazy since then. I dont think blood worms are the best food for SW fish, but when your trying to acclimate a fish to a new tank I think its best just to feed them whatever they like till they get adjusted, then change over to a healthier substitute. :D

shep

please email me on how your little box turns out. I have wanted one but been afraid to try him. Of course I want a poki puffer too but know better. going to have to do me a fish only soon. the little porki drives me nuts with his eyes. such a loving but distructive little booger.:confused:

sammystingray

I say negative on the seahorse cowfish combo....I had a five inch cowfish bite a chunk out of the head of a yellow seahorse....BTW to the folks that don't know about them, and just see them as the usually tiny little cute guys at the store......they get two feet long when full grown. Aside from a little armor, their only defense is their toxins. These fish can easily be caught by hand because they are so slow, and they need some defenses in the wild.....I have kept several over the years, and I don't think any toxins were ever released. The toxins are poisonous to the cowfish as well, so maybe that is why they hold off until really needed. Of course the oceans size will dilute it, and they can swim out of the toxins, but I would think this is VERY stressful to release the toxins and they aren't doing it unless in serious danger.....not an expert....just my experience.

k-dawg

Hey guys, I have some bad news. I came home today to find my yellow boxfish dead.:( It was never really eating and yeah I did try blood worms both alive and dead. It just never really took to anything.
I could kind of tell that it was close to the end because it was getting pretty skinny not eating and all. I placed it in the 25 gallon being worried what might happen to my other fish if it died and I allowed algae to grow on the glass because it was the only thing I've ever seen it pick at. It made it another week before it died. I cleared everything out of that tank as there wasn't much in it anyways except for three peacefull green damsels that never bothered anything and today all three died along with it.
I still wonder if the toxin would have been dilloted enough in my larger tank but I wasn't willing to risk any of the other fish I had.
Sucks, I liked that little guy.

dattong

that's sad to hear! The eating part plays an important role of keeping fish. I also have a little cowfish for over 3 weeks up to now. he didn't eat for 2 days when I brought him home, then he tried my home made food and loves it ever since, then now he also eats flakes. He eats alot. I was told that he liked brine shrimp, but I don't wanna feed my fish brines 'cause they make my water smell bad. Mine looks happy and in good shape

k-dawg

I'll try one again eventually, 'cause I really did end up liking it. He had great personality. I like fish with personality like panther groupers and clowns and boxes and such. He seemed like he would be great if he ever came out of his shell. I think that was the problem, I think he wasn't feeding because he never acclimated. He had tons of hiding spots and rocks and everything and at first he seemed interested in everything and would swim all around but in the last two weeks he just hoovered in the far left back corner never venturing much further. I'll try one again because I really liked him but I think I'll what a while first.
But the reason I was actually writing this was to ask what I should do with the live sand in the tank it died in. It obviously released toxins as other fish died, would it have killed the live sand too? And even if it did that's still good sand on it's own, do I need to wash it to use it again or should I just change the water out and start the tank over again and leave the sand alone?

dattong

it's hard to tell that the boxfish caused the death of another fish for now. Keep your eyes on the rest of the fish to see if there is anything going wrong and then take action accordingly. I hope the boxfish didn't release any toxin.

k-dawg

No! It's really not all that hard to tell. All the other fish died at the same time as it. I just need to know if that effects the live sand and if it can still be used.

broncofish

Originally posted by K-Dawg
I cleared everything out of that tank as there wasn't much in it anyways except for three peacefull green damsels that never

Peaceful Damsels???? Sounds like you sentaced those fish to death. Never seen a peaceful damsel, especially not when you introduce a new fish with them. Another thing that makes me think that is...well Boxfish don't release their toxins automaticaly at death, it is a gland that is controled , kind of like the venom sacks behind a copperheads fangs. As in when a copperhead dies of old age, venom just does not come shooting out. The only way it would release it's toxins is if it was being harrassed.

broncofish

Originally posted by CheerFlip1
sammy.......how long does it take them to get fully grown?

Hope Sammy does not mind me hopping in hear. The biggest one I've seen in an aquarium is 13", and that was after 3 1/2 years. It was still growing according to the owner. Mine is about 3" and have had it about 7 months. They eat a lot, and make a lot of mess(ie poop a ton) great fish though. Hey Sammy thanks for telling me about the cowfish seahorse thing. Everybody on the seahorse VB was telling me they make great companions:( Glad I got a little warning before making a mistake.