Brackish eel tank

Pettyrocker

im planning on getting a "freshwater" eel. They advertise as snowflakes but it isnt really a snowflake. I know they are technically salt fish but live in "salty freshwater" or brakish as its known. Any tips on set up? Do i want to use freah water and add salt every few days? Thats what the pet store suggests. Im going to start him out in a 20gal long tank but my equipment will be upscaled for the tank upgrade down the line. I also have no clue how to eel proof a lid for the tank in case he isnt happy at first...

lmforbis

I have only seen snowflakes as full salt water. They come from indonesia. I wouldn't try to go brackish with those. It is possible it could be a different species with the same common name. I had a saltwater snowflake. It was very easy and didn't really need a huge tank because they aren't open water swimmers. He did eventually get out and die.

Pettyrocker

I have only seen snowflakes as full salt water. They come from indonesia. I wouldn't try to go brackish with those. It is possible it could be a different species with the same common name. I had a saltwater snowflake. It was very easy and didn't really need a huge tank because they aren't open water swimmers. He did eventually get out and die.
They arent true Snowflakes. They are a varient that lives in brackish waters. I think as they age they become more marine-full

lmforbis

You need to keep the salt level constant. Buy a refractometer and calibration fluid, around $50. With that you can measure the salinity of the water. When you do water changes the salinity should be the same each time whether it is brackish or full salt. When you replace evaporated water it should be pure water (reverse osmosis deionized or distilled).